Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
E.Kok
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ed Kok

Don't understand job "File Copy"

Post by E.Kok »

Hi,

for the first time I created a "File Copy" job but it doesn't work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

As a source I selected 'This server' and under 'Items to copy' selected a directory on a mapped drive. Is that allowed?
It shows as \\servername\share\dir\subdir and the subdir is being created at the remote site being an ESX-host. The subdir shows up on the appointed datastore.

So this seemed all fine exept after that nothing happens anymore. The state remains at 0% and never finishes and no files appear on the other end.

Any suggestions?

Ed
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Don't understand job "File Copy"

Post by foggy »

Ed, mapped drives are only available for users logged on to the computer interactively, they are created at logon and removed at logoff, and cannot be accessed by services. Are you able to copy files if you specify the UNC path to the source folder? If not, I would recommend opening a support case to let the guys review the full log files and define the reason of such behavior. Thanks.
E.Kok
Enthusiast

Post by E.Kok »

He foggy,

as a source it is not possible to add an UNC-path. The 'Add'-button just shows physical AND mapped drives. If I choose a mapped drive it is auto-magically translated in UNC.
This gave me the impression that it is OK to use it like this. And when the job is started it does find the dir-structure and it is being created at the remote side. But that all.
When I kill the job (have to reboot :cry: ) the job shows: "Failed to copy item 'FileName' Error: Client error: End of file".

Just created a support-ticket [ID#5168627]
Recent logfiles are in support-ticket [ID#5168304]
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Oh, yes. There's no way to specify UNC explicitly, but the product automatically transforms the path to UNC format. This works in our lab so you'd better investigate further with support team on this issue.
E.Kok
Enthusiast

Post by E.Kok » 1 person likes this post

Support helped me to drill down to the cause: the service Veeam Backup Proxy needs to run with account that has privileges on the source. So not a real bug but maybe a little strange that the install-procedure doesn't mention this.

Ed
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Ed, thanks for updating the thread with the resolution!