Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
deduplicat3d
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Corey

DR / Replica Recommendations

Post by deduplicat3d »

I currently am using Veeam to backup my vSphere locally and copy my backups to Wasabi. I am also using the cloud connect to replicate to a Veeam service provider. My size doesn't really give me the flexibility to have my owned hosted DR or the ability to shell out the money to have vSphere on AWS (I have a 6 node VSAN cluster). My service provider bills / GB (pretty steep, around $0.15/GB/mo). I noticed that their infrastructure as a service charge half the price / GB so it ended up only costing marginally more than the DraaS which struck me as odd (since you are reserving memory/CPU). Does anyone have recommendations on how to deal with this (particularly a problem with large servers like file servers that don't use much memory/CPU when they need it). I also checked out the ability to restore to Azure, but that would make my recovery (in the event of a disaster) much more time consuming / complicated.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2895 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: DR / Replica Recommendations

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
for the Veeam Cloud Connect part with the service provider, I only see negotiations as an option (or choosing a different cloud provider as replication partner).

Yes, restore to Azure (or whatever cloud) requires careful network planning etc. It also takes some time before the restore into a working machine finished (depends on load on the cloud datacenter etc.)

Best regards,
Hannes