Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rhnb
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Allan Nelson

Backing up templates

Post by rhnb »

I have a job which backs up our Templates folder once a week (a full).

Since V6, in the log file I see the following message each time the backup runs...
{green tick} 'This is the full pass. VM template should be backed up again'.

Can someone explain what this means? I just want a full backup once a week of my templates, which is what I'm getting, but I'm confused as to what this message is trying to tell me.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Backing up templates

Post by tsightler »

As far as I know Veeam only backs up templates during full backup passes, not incrementals. This message seems to be indicating that your job is a full pass thus the templates will be backed up (sounds right since you are only running full backups). The message probably makes a lot more sense if you are backing up both VMs and templates in the same job as, during the week, you would be running incrementals, which would not backup templates, but on the weekend when the full backup is run, you'd get the message that "VM template should be backed up again". I agree that some tweaks to the wording might be more clear, perhaps "This is a full pass. VM templates will be backed up". Saying "should be backed up" has the implication that the user/administrator should do something.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, as templates usually do not change, they are not touched during incremental runs be default (though you might alter this behavior). To avoid their deletion from backups according to retention settings, they are backed up during each full run. This message is just to indicate that templates WILL be backed up during this run. Agree on some phrasing confusion.
rhnb
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Allan Nelson

Post by rhnb »

OK Thanks for that. So nothing to worry about. As I was getting a green tick I was assuming all was OK (and I have done a test restore so I know it's working).
allan.