Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Novae
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

GFS with NDMP

Post by Novae »

Hi,

after Installing the new Update 4 i saw the new NDMP Feature :)
And needed to test it right now ;)

Sadly right on the first Job i ran into an issue :-/

We have two Volumes which are backed up Daily except Tuesdays, there runs a Weekly and on the first Tuesday a Month a Monthly backup.
Currently with NetVault over NDMP direct from the NetApp to the MSL 2024.

we want to move all Backups to Veeam, so how can i Create this on Veeam?
All Backups on this Job are Fullbackups (its only ~150GB raw data)

But on the Assistant i couldnt use an GFS Media pool, only Simple Pools, ok no Problem for me I will just need to create more pools for each Job, then i created 3 Pools, Daily, Weekly, Monthly.

But! i cant create more than one Job using this Volumes?
Any Ideas for this?

Sure i could just run this job Daily and take the Tuesdays Tapes out of the Pool, but i would like to work with the retention times of the GFS.

Or is there any reason for this behavior?

BR
Novae
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: GFS with NDMP

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Novae,

NDMP backup is supported by File to tape jobs. Unfortunately last does not provide an option to select the GFS media pool as backup destination, so you have to use Simple Media pool instead.
But! i cant create more than one Job using this Volumes? Any Ideas for this?
The problem here is that NDMP protocol does not support multiple backup sequences: NDMP device can only return it's state since the last backup job run (any other backup activities on such NDMP volume will 'reset' the last volume state, so it wont be possible to track the changes) and, as a result, it wont be possible to perform incremental backup of NDMP volumes. Makes sense?
Novae
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by Novae » 1 person likes this post

Hi Dima.
Dima P. wrote:NDMP device can only return it's state since the last backup job run
Ok, I understand this
Dima P. wrote:it wont be possible to perform incremental backup of NDMP volumes.
And this too ;)
Dima P. wrote:Makes sense?
In case of use of Incremental backups, yes it does!

But for me it looks like an GFS Pool with Full Backups only, would be Possible? ;)
Novae wrote:All Backups on this Job are Fullbackups
So with the restriction of using only Fullbackups it would be technically possible to use an GFS Media Pool or multiple Backup Jobs for one Source?

br
Novae
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 2 people like this post

Novae,

In theory, yes. We will discuss you request with RnD team, thank you for sharing!
easen
Novice
Liked: never

[MERGED] NDMP GFS

Post by easen »

I saw some posts from a few years ago but thought I would ask again about NDMP and GFS retention...

I have some NDMP backups that have retention requirements as follows:

1X January 1st of every year - retained up to 2 years (select volumes 10 years listed below)
1X Monthly - 12X per year - retained for 1 year
1X every day for 30 days - retained for 30 days

I was initially told I could do this, is this possible to set up?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I merged your question to the thread from some years ago because the situation is still the same.
Dima P. wrote:the problem here is that NDMP protocol does not support multiple backup sequences: NDMP device can only return it's state since the last backup job run (any other backup activities on such NDMP volume will 'reset' the last volume state, so it wont be possible to track the changes) and, as a result, it wont be possible to perform incremental backup of NDMP volumes.
I don't see improvements in the NDMP protocol upcoming (independent from Veeam or any other backup software vendor). So GFS backup of a NAS filer would need a different approach.

Best regards,
Hannes