Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
KarmaKuma
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Restore from weekly Active Full + incremental file chain without .vbm file

Post by KarmaKuma »

Is it possible to run a VM restore (or for multiple VMs for that matter) based on a weekly Active-Full + incremental backup file chain if the corresponding .vbm file is missing?

Reason for asking:
I would like to leverage the WORM / Retention Lock mechanism in my Isilon/PowerScale on the backup files sitting there in my SMB/NFS based repo. Doing this directly on the backup repository directory is impossible since the .vbm file needs to be changed each time a backup is run and once WORMed, cannot be changed anymore.

Now I am thinking about copying the backup files using Isilon/PowerScale internal SyncIQ replication mechanism, excluding the .vbm file, to a secondary location (either on the same cluster or on a secondary one) where automatic WORM function is enabled.

So in case I would have to use the backup files from the WORM location for an actual restore operation, this would have to happen without the .vbm file. Talking about worst case situation only! Massive admin error deleting all backup files/directories, bad actor attack, ransom-attack, etc... If it is technically possible (and not suuuper difficult) to use the backup file chain for a restore operation without the corresponding .vbm file, this might be a way...
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Restore from weekly Active Full + incremental file chain without .vbm file

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Yes, it is possible. You need to open Import backup wizard, to browse backup files location and to select .vbk file to import. It will import .vbk itself and the related increments. However, I'm wondering to know why don't want use backup copy job to transfer data to the secondary storage?

Thanks!
KarmaKuma
Enthusiast

Post by KarmaKuma »

BCJ creates a .vbm file aswell. Otherwise this would have been my preference =)

Best would be, in my case, if it was possible to define the directory where the .vbm file is stored. Then I could simply create an exclusion for this in the automatic WORM config...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If you already have or are thinking about object storage (either public or personal one), you can consider using it along with Capacity Tier - Scale-Out Backup Repository enhancement that can do exactly what you're after (the immutable copy of backup data).

If not, then you can stick to your current plan and import backup chains via .vbk, when needed.

Thanks!
KarmaKuma
Enthusiast

Post by KarmaKuma » 2 people like this post

when i'll have the time in a few months, when veeam 12 with support for object storage as tier 1 target is out, maybe I'll give it a shot of trying Isilon/Powerscale implementation of S3. Maybe it will work. Until then I might go with my current plan...

Thanks all, case closed :)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Sure, you can use the current setup as long as it meets your requirements - was just shedding some light on the software native capabilities.

And happy to hear that you are as excited as we are about the next product release and its new features :)