Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
KarmaKuma
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

VBR environment recovery after VBR server migration

Post by KarmaKuma »

Sorry upfront, I am sure this has been asked in many different ways before, but I could not get a clear picture on this...

If I understand the concepts correctly, then importing the most recent usable VEEAM VBR server config backup into a new (or cold/warm standby) VBR server is the easiest and most robust way to recover a VBR server after a failure.

But what about the rest of the VEEAM environment? Especially proxies, mount servers, etc.? Will they automatically "re-register" on the new VBR server?

If so, my scenario would be then:
Have an active VBR server with all environment components registered to it and running/supervising all jobs (IP 10.10.10.11, hostname vbrserver1). Have a cold or warm standby VBR server on same build/version with a mostly empty configuration (IP 10.10.10.12, hostname vbrserver2). In case my active VBR server dies or is more than momentarily unavailable - for whatever reason, I would just go and import the latest VBR config backup from the active VBR server into the standby VBR server and that's it? Only difference for me would be to open the VBR UI on the newly active VBR server (in my scenario IP 10.10.10.12, hostname vbrserver2)? Almost as if nothing ever happened? All other components like proxies, mount servers etc. would get contacted and updated about the change from the now active (ex standby) VBR server? Can this really be that simple? What am I missing? That sounds just too good...

Why are people then talking about designs where a "helper" VBR server backs up or even replicates the "real" VBR server? There's no win in this? That's only making things way too complex...
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: VBR environment recovery after VBR server migration

Post by PetrM »

Hello,
import the latest VBR config backup from the active VBR server into the standby VBR server and that's it
Yes, that's it. However, you should wait for synchronization process to complete before you can enable jobs. You can track the status of this task in Configuration Database Resynchronize session under History tab. There is no need to "re-register" infrastructure items as those are already registered in the configuration database and will be available once restore is done.

Thanks!
KarmaKuma
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Re: VBR environment recovery after VBR server migration

Post by KarmaKuma » 1 person likes this post

Thanks a lot for the quick reply!

In that case I know how to proceed in this regard ;)