Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
crond
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Dmitry Becha

updating job after re-adding ESXi server to VCSA

Post by crond »

I'm moving an ESXi server (7.0.2) with VCSA to a new location.
Both esxi and VCSA got a new FQDN and ESXi server was re-added to VCSA under new name.

I followed https://www.veeam.com/kb1905 to update VCSA name in VBR(v11) and based on https://www.veeam.com/kb1299 it's my understanding that I need to re-add VMs to the job otherwise veeam won't see VMs.
But when I read jobs VBR doesn't recognize "old" data in the back and resend all information. moreover in the backup file I see 2 VM objects with the same name.
So how can I link existing backups to the jobs for VMs on "re-added" ESXi server.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: updating job after re-adding ESXi server to VCSA

Post by Mildur »

Hi Dmitry

Looks like readding the esxi host to the vcenter under a new hostname generated new VM MoRefIDs.
If the MoRefID has changed for the vms in vcenter, then veeam will see this vm as new objects. This will lead to new Fulls. And you will see each vm twice in the vbr console.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
crond
Enthusiast

Post by crond »

Hi Fabian,

Right I understand that, the question is how to link a VM (which changed ID) to an existing backup
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

There are unofficial and unsupported methods over the veeam sql database. And a unofficial migration tool.

I strongly recommend to get veeam support involved. If they help you to edit the database, then it would be supported.
crond
Enthusiast

Post by crond »

Thanks for the links. I'll give it a try
The only concerns I have is migration tool requires the active-full backup, this is actually what I'm trying to avoid due to very slow uplink .
WRT to support ... the esxi is part of my home lab and it runs community license, I believe it comes with support through this forum only.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Dmitry

You can open support cases with the Community edition. It‘s on best effort.
crond
Enthusiast

Post by crond »

So for the most part migration tool did work fine. The only note to somebody who will be in a similar situation is to *not* update names in Veeam (per https://www.veeam.com/kb1905 ) so I had to roll back VBR config from offline backup and create a copy of VCSA from backup for tool to work properly.

The only open question remaining is why do I have to run "active full" afterwards ? Is it to cover a more generic usecase when one have replication jobs or snapshots. Do I really need active full for a simple "VM Backup" case (no WAN accelerators, no snapshot, neither VM nor esxi server was upgraded).
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

An active full is only needed, if the MoRefID is not the same as before the „migration.“ Veeam identifies vmware vms with this MoRefID. If the MoRefID is not in the backup chain, then there is no way todo a synthetic full or an incremental. The Vm looks new to veeam.

Must be something gone wrong with the tool, if you now had todo an active full.
Or the old veeam backup you used have really old MoRefID ids included which are not used anymore because in the meantime vms were already copied, restored or moved to other esxi/vcenter.
crond
Enthusiast

Post by crond »

Never mind ... my bad I read the warning for Cloud connect jobs.