Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
KarmaKuma
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Linux VM as SMB/NFS Repo Gateway and Mount Server

Post by KarmaKuma »

On first and second read the 11a documentation seems a bit conflictive.

On one side vSphere - Plan and Prep - System Requirements, chapter "backup Repository Server" (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110) states that several linux distros can be used, and that this also applies to Gateay Server, Mount Server and Cache Repo Server.

On the other side vSphere - Backup Infra - Mount Server seems to say that for shared folder repositories (I assume this means SMB and NFS) the VBR server is suggested as Mount Server.

What does this mean? Is it really only a suggestion (maybe because of missing in-guest actions like flr etc. when using anything other than Windows) and I can use a Linux based VM as SMB/NFS Gateway and Mount Server for synth tasks like health check and also for vPower NFS Service? Or is it in fact impossible to use Linux as Gateway and Mount Server?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Linux VM as SMB/NFS Repo Gateway and Mount Server

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
(I assume this means SMB and NFS)
correct

I assume it's about this sentence from here
user guide wrote:the VBR server is suggested as Mount Server.
That is because the software does not know which location is the best (imagine a distributed environment with 50 branch offices and 1 SMB / NFS repository in each branch office). So it defaults to the backup server. In most cases, a different server than the VBR server should be selected.
Linux based VM as SMB/NFS Gateway and Mount Server
yes for gateway server. no for mount server. the mount server is only available for Windows.

With SMB and NFS shares, you probably want to avoid synthetic operations. Only REFS and XFS have fast clone support. NAS devices are usually to slow for synthetic operations.

Best regards,
Hannes
KarmaKuma
Enthusiast

Post by KarmaKuma »

So for a linux based repository I need a mount server (for vPower and if needed for synth actions).

If i had a linux based repository (or multiple tied together as sobr), in a local network with 10/25gbe "front-to-back", what would be the best scenario:

Have the repo-server play the gateway server and use a dedicated machine for mount server actions, or, have a dedicated machine play gateway and mount server? I guess the first one?

What if the linux based repository was setup as immutable repo? Any difference?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I'd opt for the second one because it will allow you to reduce load on the Linux server if many parallel tasks use both the Linux and CIFS/SMB repositories. In the second scenario when you make different servers play the role of repository and gateway, the load will be distributed among these two severs: one target Data Mover will be running on the Linux server and another one on gateway.

Immutability setting should not be taken into account when planning infrastructure topology, this setting does not affect logic of work of mount server and gateway servers.

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

What if the linux based repository was setup as immutable repo?
that requires block storage. Block storage has no gateway server. But you still need a mount server because the mount server role only exists on Windows.
KarmaKuma
Enthusiast

Post by KarmaKuma »

Is a mount server role for linux in the pipeline or no intention of doing this in the forseeable future, if I may ask openly?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

we have intentions to improve that, but it will not happen in foreseeable future.
KarmaKuma
Enthusiast

Post by KarmaKuma »

Thanks for the info!