Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Supraman
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Vinh

Strange issue after adding a new proxy.

Post by Supraman »

Has anyone come across this weirdness that I am seeing and that is that I have a job created specifying a certain proxy under the storage option of the backup job and when the job runs it actually shows that the "Guest interaction Proxy" is something other than what I had selected?

And the second option that is a mist to me is the storage snapshot as I also had the that specified in the job setting as well as on the Proxy to use direct storage access but instead it uses Hotbackup "Vmware snapshot" instead.

Now for the storage snapshot, the setting has been set just as like our other proxies which have been working without any issues as of yet. This just recently started when I added a new physical proxy and retired one of the three we currently were using.

I do have a case number and I had open it up base on the slow performance I was getting.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Strange issue after adding a new proxy.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Vinh

I don‘t have access to the case, but I‘ll try to anwser your questions.
I have a job created specifying a certain proxy under the storage option of the backup job and when the job runs it actually shows that the "Guest interaction Proxy" is something other than what I had selected?

Guest interaction proxy is not the proxy you selected on the storage setting page. This proxy has other tasks than doing a backup. It is used to prepare the vm before the vm snapshot.
There are two types of proxies.

Guest interaction Proxy:
- Is used for deploying a small agent for Application Aware Processing. You choose this proxy on the guest processing setting page. Must be a windows server and can be physical or virtual.

Backup Proxy:
- Is used for reading the vm files (vm config, vm disk, ….) from the hypervisor environment. If this proxy has access to the storage, then it will read backup data directly from the storage. If he hasn‘t access to the storage or Direct Storage Access is not configured for this proxy, veeam will use other methods like virtual appliance (hotadd) or network mode.

And the second option that is a mist to me is the storage snapshot as I also had the that specified in the job setting as well as on the Proxy to use direct storage access but instead it uses Hotbackup "Vmware snapshot" instead.
A Backup Job from Storage Snapshot must do a VmWare backup before taking the storage snapshot. So looks normal to me. Do you see any notes about the storage snapshot in the job logs?

Following steps happens:
1) Vm get prepared with Veeam Application Aware processing
2) Vm gets a VmWare Snapshot
3) Storage Snapshot is taken
4) VmWare Snapshot is removed
5) Backup Proxy reads the data from the storage snapshot
6) storage snapshot is removed
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Supraman
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Vinh

Re: Strange issue after adding a new proxy.

Post by Supraman »

Thanks for the respond Mildur that did cleared it up a bit.