Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
petben
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Pete Benn

Backing up Remote Desktop Servers Errors

Post by petben »

Hello, we have a backup job containing two Hyper-V servers RDS1 and RDS2 that operate as Remote Desktop Hosts (Windows 2019), and one server RDG1 that runs the Gateway and broker services.

The Veeam job always fails for RDS1 and RDS2, it causes an error on our SAN "The guest operating system in the virtual machine is reporting an unhealthy state."

Running a snapshot in Hyper-V also fails, so it is a Hyper-V thing probably. Is there any way in Veeam to bypass the Hyper-V snapshot process to get a successful error free backup?

I already have set:
  • Disable Application Aware Processing
    Enable HyperV quiesence
Thanks
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 168 times

Re: Backing up Remote Desktop Servers Errors

Post by RomanK »

Hello Pete,

As a part of VM backup and Agent backup capabilities, VBR uses snapshots (and checkpoints) for creating a backup. In the case of Hyper-V VM backup, this is done via the hypervisor APIs. In the case of Agent backup, the snapshots are created using Microsoft VSS.

Given you cannot create a checkpoint from within Hyper-V which essentially means that the issue lies on the Hyper-V side. We would recommend opening a support case with Microsoft support.

Also, there is an article by Microsoft that sheds some light on the aforementioned error.

Thanks
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

You may try Veeam Agents to bypass snapshot creation at the hypervisor level. Also, you can contact our support team as well, support is provided on best effort basis over email for Community, NFR and Free licensed products.

Thanks!
petben
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Pete Benn

Post by petben »

Thanks, I need to check I have some Agent licenses. I have read you can manage the Agent backups via the main B&R console, how do I add these Agents to the interface?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Pete,

In fact, all necessary instructions can be found in the guide I was referring to in my previous post. For example, you can create a protection group and add computers to a backup job.

Thanks!