Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
121x
Influencer
Liked: never

DR Failover

Post by 121x »

Hi,

I am familiar with the process of failing over a replica to a remote DR site, assuming the Veeam instance is accessible to perform this operation.

My question is, how do I recover or bring online VMs at a DR site if the primary site has become unavailable and the Veeam server is not accessible, say due to a natural disaster for example.

Do I need to install a 2nd Veeam server at the DR site and link them somehow? I did not see it mentioned in the documentation how to recover your environment if the primary site is offline and inaccessible. Only coordinated failover assuming the primary site is functional.

I am sure I am missing something simple.

Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: DR Failover

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the recommendation is to put the VBR server to the DR site to have all options (failover, failback etc.)

If nothing is available, you can directly start the VMs from the hypervisor management interface. Keep in mind that you manually have to clean up all the snapshots. If you use CDP with VMware, then a working backup server is required.

Best regards,
Hannes
121x
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by 121x »

Thank you. Is it possible to simply have a second management instance that ties into or connects to the original? I would rather not have to reconfigure the environment to move the primary server to the DR site.

Looking to understand what options exist to set this up.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

a second instance has no knowledge about the jobs of the other VBR server. from DR VBR server's view, it's just a VM with some snapshots.

If you use VMware, then you could have extra proxies just for replication. With Hyper-V I would always recommend to only have one VBR server to make things easier during upgrade.