Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
XIANLEE78
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Christian Billiot

SQL issues with Monitor and Business View

Post by XIANLEE78 »

Clean OS install
Installed Monitor including 2005 express, allowed install to create necessary database
added a couple host to monitor
left a few days
came back, everything looks good :D

tried to install business view but received "Could not connect to database server "MY database server"
checked in server options for monitor under database section
database status: database does not exist or is not accessible :?

checked current database properties and everything looks correct
checked database connection and everything looks correct and test connection works properly
clicked check database button and get same status as above database does not exist or is not accessible
tried change database, set authorization
tried choose available, picked one created during install = fail
connecting = success
checking database selected = error has occurred "external component has thrown an exception"
tried "enter the name of new database" to make new one and get same error :x

downloaded SQL SMSE to verify permissions and ability to create databases under the instance and everything works as expected, but still a no go for getting database status to be green in monitor or to install Business View :evil:

any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated :idea: :arrow: :mrgreen:

Build: XP PRO SP3, .net, IIS, all updates
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: SQL issues with Monitor and Business View

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Christian,

I haven't seen this behavior before, so I would suggest contacting our support team to troubleshoot this issue via WebEx session. On the other hand, you can take a look a VeeamDCS.log file (Monitor Client -> Help -> Support Information) to see what is causing this issue by yourself.

On top of that, I wonder how large your infrastructure is? Having everything deployed on Windows XP machine is not considered to be best practice, so moving SQL Server to Windows server machine should definitely help.

Thanks!
XIANLEE78
Novice

Post by XIANLEE78 »

Call to tech support and 3rd wipe and reolad of the entire system did the trick.

Support technician was nice enough to watch my configuration (the 3rd time) and low and behold it worked.

Not sure what I did differently the 3rd time but I am happy it is all working now.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for update! Glad that all is up and running now. Could you please post your support case for future readers?
XIANLEE78
Novice

Post by XIANLEE78 »

@ Vitaliy

Support case 5164615

I tried to collect details but says data unavailable.
Vitaly.Mzokov
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Mzokov

Post by Vitaly.Mzokov »

XIANLEE78 wrote:Support case 5164615
And that support technician was me :) It's been a long time since we closed this particular support case, but, from what I remember, the issue was specific to your environment and was probably related to the multiple .Net versions installed on the same box with Veeam Monitor v5. We tried to reinstall the product from scratch and point it to the pre-existed database. It worked like a charm.

Nevertheless, I hope all is good now with your monitoring server, Christian, and you have already upgraded to the most recent super-cool Veeam ONE v6 ;)

- VM.