Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
TWuser
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: TW

parallel job using excess tape(s)

Post by TWuser »

So I'm pretty sure I already know the issue, but I'm looking for any suggested workarounds.

I have a Tape job backing up multiple Backup jobs, each with multiple VM's using per-VM backup.
The Tape job targets a Library with 4 drives.
The Media Set has parallel jobs enabled, and is set to create a new Media Set weekly.

The problem is that we want 4 Tapes, but currently 1 of the 4 Tapes fills up, then continues that job by grabbing a new Tape
The other 3 tapes also get used but generally have tons of space left. So we get 5 tapes when 4 is more than plenty.

I'm assuming since parallel processing creates a Media Set "per drive", and the single VM that spills onto 2 Tapes needs to be in the same MediaSet, it can't put the rest of the VM on one of the other 3 Tapes that all have room.
So there is no fix, but I'm brainstorming for workarounds.

My ideas so far:
- Deal with 5 tapes and get over it.
- Switch the parallel processing to just 3 drives. This means up to a 25% performance hit and 1 drive sits idle.
- Try to get lucky by moving jobs and VM backup orders around so the "big" VM doesn't span 2 tapes.
- ???????

If anyone has any other ideas let me know, thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: parallel job using excess tape(s)

Post by Dima P. »

Hello TWuser,

Parallel processing already has the logic to split the data based on size, so adjusting jobs/vms order wont help. Since it's a fight between performance and cost, I'd say you need to define what's more important for you and follow the path. If you ask me - I'd rather keep your current setup but add more data to tape tape jobs (since you got the space that could be used for data protection tasks). Thanks!
TWuser
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: TW

Post by TWuser »

Ha, I guess adding MORE data to tape wasn't on my list, but would make me feel less bad about wasted space. I'll keep it in mind! I haven't tested the 3drive solution yet, so it may still be an option since performance is fairly decent right now.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks TWuser! You can also define the applicable backup window for tape jobs and then start limiting the performance (amount of tape drives) which will lead to less tape media consumption. Whenever tape jobs fit the backup window you are good.