Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ChrisGundry
Veteran
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Chris Gundry

Veeam B&R log collection failing in v11 but worked in v10

Post by ChrisGundry »

Hi all,

I am sure this can't be a wide spread issue, otherwise support wouldn't be struggling with this as much as they seem to be... But I wanted to ask if anyone else has had issues with this.

We have 4 Veeam servers, but use Veeam via the remote console. So when we gather logs for a job using the B&R remote console it gathers the logs from each server, then downloads them to the local C: drive in the location you specified, then zips them.

In v10 whenever we had a problem that required log collection we just specified C:\temp\BackupJobX. The folder BackupJobX did NOT exist, but B&R created the folder and put the logs there no problem.

After upgrading to v11, we had an issue with a job, so I raised a case, went to collect the logs and doing the exact same thing I had done for ages in v9.5/10 failed... It says Successful, but when you click the 'Open Folder' link, it takes you to 'My Documents', not C:\temp\BackupJobX. If you go to C:\temp\BackupJobX manually there is no BackupJobX folder there.
Nothing else has changed, just that we have updated from v10 to v11, now it doesn't work anymore.

However, and this is where it gets stranger, if you try and export to a folder that already exists it works, the files are put in the folder, but reports failed, yet the files are in fact there... It seems to copy the .zip to the location, then a .tmp file appears, which is when it says 'compressing logs', the compressing% increases, then when it reaches 100% it stops and reports 'log export failed'. If you click the 'Open folder' link it takes you to the folder and the .zip is there...

The account I am using is a domain and local admin on the remote console machine. I have write access to C:\temp, but creating a new folder results in a UAC prompt.

I have observed that if you open the remote console in admin mode that it DOES work, and the files are stored in C:\temp\BackupJobX.

To me it seems that the issue is with UAC and when trying to create the C:\temp\BackupJobX folder. I confirmed this with procmon, there is an access denied error reported. I am not 100% clear on why it manages to export the logs in non-admin mode, but fails when the compression part is done.

Supports advice is:
1. To turn off UAC - Can't do this, company policy mandates it be on. Further, it worked in v10, so why not in v11?
2. Pre-create the folder - Whilst this is technically somewhat possible, it was not required in v10, so why is it now required in v11? Further, if we do it this way, it doesn't work properly, it says 'export failed' and the compression stage doesn't work, although the logs are there.
3. Use admin mode - Whilst this is technically possible, it was not required in v10, so why is it now required in v11?

As I said, interested to know if anyone else has had any issues, or if this is somehow isolated to our environment...

Case # 05085090

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam B&R log collection failing in v11 but worked in v10

Post by foggy »

Hi Chris, sounds strange and unexpected, indeed. Please continue investigating with the help of our engineers. They need to either confirm the issue on the product side or find some environmental explanation of the behavior.