Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ml35
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

Recovery media v4 does not see the backup on SMB

Post by ml35 » 1 person likes this post

I have upgraded from agent v3 to v4

after upgrade, the new recovery media (Windows 1909 + Agent 4 latest) does not see the backup (it connects/authenticates to NAS share, but lists no computers/backups)

recovery media created under Windows 1903 + Agent 3.0.2.1170 sees the network share and lists the backups/computers (but it no longer understands the format and fails later with “storage version [12] is not supported for read-only access”)

support case number is 04153193.
maestroo
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Vit

Re: Recovery media v4 does not see the backup on SMB

Post by maestroo » 1 person likes this post

I have exactly the same problem Can you please post updates here, as I really need to do the recovery ASAP :) thanks
ml35
Enthusiast

Post by ml35 »

the situation is worse than I thought.

I have tried restoring using normal user interface of version 4 (the windows installation is still working, I was just trying to test the restore because I wanted to upgrade to windows 20.04 20H1). aaaand surprise! it's not the recovery media issue, it's v4 when restoring cannot understand backups made with v3 (but it can write/continue backing up to them!).

and the v3 neither can no longer restore from the same Job.vbm file. so it's either v4 corrupted the vbm, or somehow the vbm got corrupted (which is very unlikely, as it's stored on checksummed redundant pool of zfs filesystem)

found this in the logs. support contacted me but I think it's an AI bot, because I provided the detailed setup then later on was asked if I used v3 before (which I did, and told that to support right from the first email reply)

[04.05.2020 23:43:06] <08> Error Failed to process vbm
[04.05.2020 23:43:06] <08> Error Sequence contains more than one matching element (System.InvalidOperationException)
[04.05.2020 23:43:06] <08> Error at System.Linq.Enumerable.SingleOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
[04.05.2020 23:43:06] <08> Error at Veeam.Backup.Core.CBackupVbmReader.CreateCKeySetsRepairer(CStgOrTapeKeySets[] dataToRecover)
[04.05.2020 23:43:06] <08> Error at Veeam.Backup.Core.CBackupVbmReader.RecoverKeys(IUserKeySetWrapper[] keySetWrappers)
[04.05.2020 23:43:06] <08> Error at Veeam.Backup.Core.CBackupVbmReader..ctor(String vbmContent, CBackupMetaType metaType, IDbEncryptionSession encryptionSession, Boolean isBackupImport)
[04.05.2020 23:43:06] <08> Error at Veeam.EndPoint.CEpShareBackupSearcher.ProcessVbm(String vbmFile)
[04.05.2020 23:48:45] <01> Error Select a backup to restore files from. at Veeam.EndPoint.Recovery.UI.BackedUpObjectsSelectorCtrl.GetFirstSelectedObj()
[04.05.2020 23:48:45] <01> Error at Veeam.EndPoint.Recovery.UI.BackupObjectsCtrl.Validate(String& error)
[04.05.2020 23:48:45] <01> Error at Veeam.Backup.UI.Common.CWizardPageUtil.Validate(IWizardPageValidator pageCtrl)
[04.05.2020 23:48:45] <01> Error at Veeam.EndPoint.FLR.EpFlrWizard.Validate(Int32 oldPageIndex, Int32 newPageIndex)
[04.05.2020 23:48:45] <01> Error at Veeam.EndPoint.FLR.EpFlrWizard._wizard_BeforeSwitchPages(Object sender, BeforeSwitchPagesEventArgs e)
ml35
Enthusiast

Post by ml35 »

maestroo wrote: May 05, 2020 8:19 am I have exactly the same problem Can you please post updates here, as I really need to do the recovery ASAP :) thanks
does your v3 recovery media see the backup?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi maestroo,
can you please open support ticket as well and share its ID here. I am tracking ml35's case progress and will add yours to as reference too.
/Thanks!
kokishin
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Koki Shin

Post by kokishin »

I'm currently running Win10 Pro 1903 with VAW v3 free (desktop) and backup to an SMB share on another Win10 Pro machine 1909 (backup server).

When I open the Veeam control panel and click the "Check Now" button, it always states that I'm up-to-date. I suppose Veeam hasn't enabled the check update to notify for VAW v4 yet?

Anyway, is there a recommended procedure to manually install VAW v4 on the desktop?
Such as:
1) Download and install VAW v4 free on the desktop computer with Win10 Pro 1903.
2) Create new bare metal restore media with VAW v4.
3) Test new bare metal restore media with VAW v4 with the existing VAW v3 backups on the backup server.
4) If item 3 checks out ok, then upgrade desktop computer to Win10 Pro 1909.
5) Test new bare metal restore media with VAW v4 again with the existing VAW v3 backups on the back up server.
6) After VAW v4 has performed the next (incremental) backup, test new bare metal restore media with VAW v4 again.

Is it a good idea to copy the complete backup folder on the backup server to another drive in case the existing backup gets munged?

BTW, my total backup size on the backup server is currently 7.4TB :shock:
maestroo
Novice

Post by maestroo » 1 person likes this post

ml35 wrote: May 05, 2020 11:01 am does your v3 recovery media see the backup?
v3 does see the backup, but it fails to recover from it becouse of unknown format. v4 cannot see it at all. I was not able to do the recovery... ! (like OMG, did the DEVs even try to do the simple restore??? This is really bad quality testing... Restore not working on backup software at all...) I needed to do full reinstall, and use the full Backup&replication to read V4 and restore files.
maestroo
Novice

Post by maestroo »

Egor Yakovlev wrote: May 05, 2020 3:56 pm Hi maestroo,
can you please open support ticket as well and share its ID here. I am tracking ml35's case progress and will add yours to as reference too.
/Thanks!
hello,

I'm using the fee license, so I doubt can open support tickets ?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Sure you can. Directly from an agent UI - under Support there is a button to open the case.
Can you also run a quick test in v4 agent: run File Restore Wizard(from start) and try pointing it to same SMB. Does it see old chain in this case?
/Thanks!
maestroo
Novice

Post by maestroo »

Hello,

Support ticket with ID 04182521 was created.
maestroo
Novice

Post by maestroo »

Regarding the second part, I'll not touch the v4 until someone confirms that the recovery is working :)
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Thanks for the ID. Both cases are under investigation.
ml35
Enthusiast

Post by ml35 » 1 person likes this post

can a moderator please retitle this to something like:

v4 cannot restore from v3 backup jobs that were continued with v4, and neither v3 can restore from a backup file updated by v4 agent.

this is not about the recovery media, as I originally thought and reported, this is more severe and you cannot restore from backups once you upgrade the agent from v3 to v4.

it breaks the vbm file so neither v3 nor v4 can restore (v4 does not see it at all, v3 complains about unable to parse it), even if v4 can continue backing up to it.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi ml35.
Let's find a reason behind vbm corruption you are experiencing first, as it is not global for all who upgrades to v4. I have connected a senior QA colleague to work on par with assigned to your case support engineer. From first glance on vbm it seems that there could be an easy fix for your issue, so please bear with that support case a little longer - I am quite sure solution will find it's way soon.
/Cheers!
ml35
Enthusiast

Post by ml35 »

support case 04153193 is non-resposive for over two months

if anyone reads this, discard your old v3 backups and start a new backup chain once upgraded to v4

if you need to make a backup before v3 to v4 upgrade, simply use a different software. i don’t expect a solution anytime soon. I’ve had an engineer do a teamviewer session back in June and concluded with more work needed to find the cause and repair the files. since then, complete silence.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi ml35.
Please note that your case is handled by Free Product tier, thus it is having a lowest priority and handled on support load best effort basis. Also, there is a "Request an update" button in case management under my.veeam.com if you think it takes too long.
I have asked your Support engineer to pick your case up whenever available.
/Thanks!
ronniecoleman
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ronnie Coleman

Post by ronniecoleman »

Push!
Same here.
I noticed it now that I moved my Backups from an external USB drive to my new NAS.
Restore function of Veeam can't see any network shares, but if I paste the direct path to the backup SMB share (including user & password) the Backup is shown.
But when selecting it and clicking on "Next" the same error appears like for @ml35:

E: How do I even create a support ticket for free users? I created a Veeam account and then if I apply for a support ticket, the websites asks me for another email (business email) then :evil:
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Ronnie,

Can you open the case via Veeam Agent for Windows UI and share the case ID with us? Thanks!