Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
jlb4350
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Suggestions for scale-out repo setup

Post by jlb4350 »

Hello everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me with a scale-out repository strategy. We have an EC2 instance at AWS that is being used as a Veeam backup server. It is set up with a local EBS to use as a performance tier and an S3 bucket as a capacity tier in a scale-out repository.

We're wanting to keep our cost as low as possible. I'm wondering if it's possible to copy/move backups to S3 immediately from the EBS after the backup jobs are completed, and then wipe the EBS after that copy is complete. Is this possible? If not, what is the best way to set this up to keep costs low?

Also, we are wanting to run a full backup on the weekends and incremental backups throughout the week. We only want to keep 30 days worth of data in the S3 bucket (which would be 4 sets of full backups and their corresponding incremental files), after which we want the data to begin being written over rather than to just keep growing. Is this something that Veeam handles or is that set at the S3 bucket level?

Thank you for any help you can provide!
jlb4350
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Re: Suggestions for scale-out repo setup

Post by jlb4350 » 1 person likes this post

Veeam support helped. Basically we set an a 33 day retention policy at the job level. Then in the scale out repository, we set the capacity tier to move backups to the object storage after 3 days.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Suggestions for scale-out repo setup

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Be aware that only inactive backup chains will be moved to Capacity Tier, meaning backup server will start moving previous restore points to S3, once a chain is sealed by full backup. Thanks!