Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
daricsmith
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Daric Smith

Automatic Proxy Selection Account for Network Rules

Post by daricsmith » 1 person likes this post

I have recently found that the logic for "automatic proxy selection" does not take into account any Network Traffic rules. I would have thought the proxy selection would start with "are the source and destination on the same network based on Network Traffic Rules".

This is an especially important question with a geographically distributed backup infrastructure that is centrally managed.

Now that I have thoroughly read the documentation I realize the only purpose for those rules is for encryption or throttling and network selection. But I now have to manually select the proxies for each backup job. The "automatic" part "automatic" selection feels more static then it should be.

I don't know if there is an enhancement request section but it shouldn't be too difficult to add it to the "automatic" logic.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Automatic Proxy Selection Account for Network Rules

Post by PetrM »

Hi Darlic and Welcome to Veeam F&D Forums!

I'd avoid any estimations in regards to implementation complexity without carrying out a proper research but the request is clear. Let's note it but we need to continue tracking similar requests before we can decide on feasibility to deliver such an enhancement in future releases.

Thanks!
daricsmith
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Daric Smith

Post by daricsmith »

Zoiks. That is quite the reply.

Don't worry, I am under no delusions that an enhancement request would be put on any product roadmap based off of a single post on a general discussion forum.

Based on your reply though, I am not the first person to request such an enhancement? If so, is it on a product roadmap even if there isn't a defined timeline?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

It's not on our roadmap so far. I'm afraid that I cannot say precisely how many times did I see this request but maybe a couple of times already. Anyway, thanks for sharing this idea and for understanding the process.

Thanks!