Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cgrossman
Novice
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Carlo

Incomplete upgrade from 11.0.0.837 to 11.0.1.1261 because of hardened repository

Post by cgrossman »

I upgraded my server from 11.0.0.837 to 11.0.1.1261 and the upgrade was partially successful. There are components on my Linux hardened repo that did not upgrade. I try to go and upgrade those, and it wants the credentials from the single-use credentials when the repo was established. I don't have those credentials in my documentation.

I am currently unable to perform any backups because my repo is offline. Is there a way to upgrade the repo, or revert back to 11.0.0.837?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2304 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Incomplete upgrade from 11.0.0.837 to 11.0.1.1261 because of hardened repository

Post by Mildur » 2 people like this post

Hi Carlo

Without the credentials, you can‘t update. You need a user who can install the new binaries over ssh.

What you can do:
1) login as root (or another user which has sudo permissions) to the hardened repo
2) reset the password of the repo user
3) give the repo user temporary sudo permissions
4) enable the ssh service for the upgrade
5) use the repo user and the newly configured password to update the linux hardened repository with single use credentials (never use root for this step)

Important, after you upgraded successfully, do this:
- remove sudo permission for the repo user
- disable ssh

Reverting backup would mean to reinstall the old vbr version from scratch and use the configuration backup you have taken before the vbr upgrade to restore the old configuration. That‘s not necessary. Reseting the repo user password has much less impact on your backup environment.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
cgrossman
Novice
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Carlo

Re: Incomplete upgrade from 11.0.0.837 to 11.0.1.1261 because of hardened repository

Post by cgrossman » 1 person likes this post

Excellent! Thank you so much. I'm back in business.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2304 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Your welcome :)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software