RESTful knowledge exchange
saintdle
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Dean lewis

VBR API feedback

Post by saintdle »

Hi,

Using the latest VBR 11 build, I've been working with the API to pull some data centrally. I thought I'd provide some feedback of the hurdles I've come across.

I assume that potentially you are already aware of some of these pieces. But I know you appreciate feedback from the field. I'll continue adding to thread replies if I have any more feedback.

Code: Select all

- /api/v1/backupInfrastructure/repositories
This call does not return cloud connect providers. It seems there is no backup infra API call that does. 
This call does not include the Scale Out Repos either. Which is ok, because there is another call further down.

- /api/v1/backupInfrastructure/repositories/states
This is the only way to get the repository capacity statistics, unlike other commands, which use an ID parameter to specify a particular object. You have to use a filter on this to return only a single repository. 

- /api/v1/backupInfrastructure/scaleOutRepositories
There seems to no method to get the capacity data for the Scale-Out Repositories, it would be nice to be able to get this data.

- /api/v1/sessions/:id
If you need to get the running time, you will have to compute the difference between start and end time yourself. It would be nice if this can be part of the data set.
There is no summary data for the data size for that backup. 

- /api/v1/sessions/:id/logs
There is no summary data for the data size for that backup. Just the VM size in total.

- /api/v1/backups/:id/objects
This relies on the use of the backup ID which you get from the results of another API call. The response body here shows which VMs are included in this backup, but none of the key's link it back to the backup in question. So the only way to tie the backup response body (/api/v1/backups/:id) and the Backup Objects body response is via the API calls themselves, rather than within the data. It would be nice to have the backup ID in the BackupObject, so I can create a relationship between the two. 

Technical Architect
Veeam Certified Architect
Veeam Vanguard
  • Personal Technical Blog - www.veducate.co.uk
  • Twitter - @saintdle
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: VBR API feedback

Post by oleg.feoktistov » 1 person likes this post

Hi Dean,

Thank you for your detailed feedback, appreciate it. I have noted all the questions you raised as feature requests. Now I would like to comment on some of them:
  • /api/v1/backupInfrastructure/repositories - we don't support Cloud Connect in VBR REST API at all just yet. But when we do, that's certainly the place to be for cloud provider backup resources.
  • /api/v1/backups/:id/objects - the objects reflected via this request are merely a view with the list of machines like in VBR UI when you expand a backup. The equivalent of getting them with Powershell would be CBackup.GetObjects(). They are not binded to a certain backup and represent references to hierarchy objects in virtual or physical infrastructure. But we'll see what we can do to make backup - object relationship more tight in case with this objects view.
Thanks,
Oleg
saintdle
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Dean lewis

Re: VBR API feedback

Post by saintdle »

Thank you for your consideration and reply :D
Technical Architect
Veeam Certified Architect
Veeam Vanguard