Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Boris S
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Boris S

Veeam Agent Versions Differences

Post by Boris S »

Hi all,

I am a bit in struggle so maybe some of you might help me out. I am confused by the available options offered by Agent.Configurator.exe.

As you can see down below i just send an command to list the available options of the veeam agent version 5.0.0.4301

C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup>"C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.Agent.Configurator.exe"
Provides a command-line setup and configuration interface to Veeam Agent
for Microsoft Windows

Usage: Veeam.Agent.Configurator.exe [-license] [-import] [-export] [-syncnow] [-setvbrsettings] [-exportdebuglogs] [-removeowner] [-installcbtdriver] [-uninstallcbtdriver]

Options:
-license Install the license and set product edition.
-import Import agent configuration from a file.
-export Export local agent configuration to a file.
-installcbtdriver Install the changed block tracking driver.
-uninstallcbtdriver Uninstall the changed block tracking driver.
-syncnow Connect to the backup server and download current configuration settings.
-setvbrsettings Add Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows to the protection group.
-exportdebuglogs Export the self-managed agent debug logs to the backup server.
-removeowner Remove the backup server ownership and switch this agent into the standalone mode.

So now, i have run the same command on some other windows server Agent Version 4.0.1.2169

:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup>"C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.Agent.Configurator.exe"
Provides a command-line setup and configuration interface to Veeam Agent
for Microsoft Windows

Usage: Veeam.Agent.Configurator.exe [-license] [-import] [-export]

Options:
-license Install the license and set product edition.
-import Import agent configuration from a file.
-export Export local agent configuration to a file.

ExitCode: 0

As you can see, there are just few options available compared to other agent above.

So, Can someone tell me if this depends of the version provided by VBR or where is the difference?

To go deeper with my "confusion" i am trying to add server which has Agent Version 4.0.1.2169 and which is not in the Inventory of Physical Infrastructure "Protection Group" to add it there.

I thought if manage it to set the config.xml file which is provided by VBR server (that file works if i use the client that is provided by VBR Server) on the server that is using the Agent Version 4.0.1.2169 by setting it as default via setvbrsettings. So, since i do not have that setvbrsettings option available then i guess there is something different. Even if i change the default .xml file i cannot sync it since the -syncnow command is also not available.

I guess, there is no workaround unless i also install the agent that is provided by VBR server. Can someone confirm that?

I hope you guys understand what i mean.

Many thanks in advance!

Greets Boris
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam Agent Versions Differences

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, version 4 and 5 have different options. The user guide is aligned with the output from the post above Version 4 - Version 5

The XML file that is used with protection group for pre-installed agents only works with version 5 (I hope that answered the question, because I got lost a bit :-))

Best regards,
Hannes
Boris S
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Boris S

Re: Veeam Agent Versions Differences

Post by Boris S »

Hey Hannes,

Thanks alot, that helps out!

Grets Boris