Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kanand72
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: K Anand

Feature Request : Copy a particular backup to another repository

Post by kanand72 »

There can be instances where
We need to keep a particular backup for a different period than the normal retention period. When using tapes, it is very easy -- simply take the tape out of the library and keep it safe. This feature is not available when doing backups to disk based targets.

So my suggestion is to either
1) give an option to copy that particular backup to another repository with a different retention period.
or
2) given an option to change the retention period of a particular backup ....

Regards
Anand
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Feature Request : Copy a particular backup to another repository

Post by veremin »

It seems that Export backup functionality might be something that answers your requirements.

Thanks!
Hindawi
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Moustafa Hindawi

Post by Hindawi »

You can use Backup Copy job (Periodic copy), you can copy restore points created by backup jobs or restore points of individual machines.
The retention policy of a backup copy job defines for how long Veeam Backup & Replication must retain copied restore points in the target backup repository. The retention policy of a backup copy job does not depend on retention policy of the source backup job. The backup copy job has its own retention policy settings.
Veeam Backup & Replication offers two retention policy schemes for backup copy jobs:
1-Short-Term Retention Policy
2-GFS Retention Policy (Weekly, Monthly, Yearly)
When configuring short-term retention policy settings for a backup copy job, you have two options:
1-Specify the number of restore points.
2-Specify the number of days.

Regards,
Hindawi
kanand72
Enthusiast

Post by kanand72 » 1 person likes this post

veremin wrote: Mar 16, 2022 12:40 pm It seems that Export backup functionality might be something that answers your requirements.

Thanks!

I was under the impression that export will only export to my desktop and not to any backup repo....Just saw the documentation now...And it does get stored in the backup repo itself...

Thanks...This is what I was looking for.
kanand72
Enthusiast

Post by kanand72 »

Hindawi wrote: Mar 17, 2022 6:17 am You can use Backup Copy job (Periodic copy), you can copy restore points created by backup jobs or restore points of individual machines.
The retention policy of a backup copy job defines for how long Veeam Backup & Replication must retain copied restore points in the target backup repository. The retention policy of a backup copy job does not depend on retention policy of the source backup job. The backup copy job has its own retention policy settings.
Veeam Backup & Replication offers two retention policy schemes for backup copy jobs:
1-Short-Term Retention Policy
2-GFS Retention Policy (Weekly, Monthly, Yearly)
When configuring short-term retention policy settings for a backup copy job, you have two options:
1-Specify the number of restore points.
2-Specify the number of days.

Regards,
Hindawi
I had considered this option but it seemed to be an overkill for my requirement...