Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
valeriym
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: VALERIY MARTIROSOV

Standard Edition and Amazon S3

Post by valeriym »

Hello,
I have a VBR Standard edition configured to do local backups only. The goal is to add a secondary backup to Amazon S3, preferably with the Object-lock immutable storage.
I understood that Amazon S3 Glacier or S3 compatible storage like Wasabi/MinIO won't work without SOBR which requires an Enterprise+\UVL license.
However, according to this link, it's possible to use Amazon S3 without SOBR object-storage-f52/unoffizial-compatibi ... 56956.html.
So the questions are:
1) Is that correct? If not what are my options (in terms of immutable storage capabilities) without upgrading to Ent+ or UVL?
2) Backup copy directly to Object Storage will be a feature in V12 - does it means I'd be able to add Glacier\Wasabi as the secondary backup location with the current license?

Thank you.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Standard Edition and Amazon S3

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums

1) the systems listed in the link are usable as capacity tier of scale out backup repositories (SOBR). Scale out repositories require at least Enterprise edition.
2) For V12 we are still working on the "which feature requires which license". Wasabi is object storage that can be accessed directly. So that should work. Glacier is used as archive tier in scale out repositories, which are not available in Standard edition. So pretty sure that Glacier will not work in any case for Standard edition.

Best regards,
Hannes
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Object storage support will continue to require at least an Enterprise edition also in V12. So with a Standard edition, the only option for immutable storage is to use a hardened repository.
valeriym
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: VALERIY MARTIROSOV

Post by valeriym »

Thank you guys for the clarification, I appreciate that.
I think we'll use our old NAS as secondary storage. It will be shut down the majority of the time and enabled only for the secondary backup replication.
Can you suggest the optimal way to accomplish this task?
I thinking about a weekly backup job with Periodic Copy (pruning) from jobs. Ideally, I want to keep one full backup and 1 last incremental but not sure how to configure the retention policy.
Should I set 2 restore points for the retention policy (I assume it will copy the last full and the last incremental backup from the primary backup storage)?
Thank you.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Should I set 2 restore points for the retention policy
yep. the result will be one full plus one incremental backup