Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
APerkins182
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Andy Perkins

11A + KB4288 Upgrade failed to update proxies

Post by APerkins182 »

Case #05338605

Hello,

I have upgraded a VBR server from 11 to 11A in order to apply the KB4288/CU to get to version 11.0.1.1261 P20220302

Curious if anyone has had issue upgrading remote components after, specifically I am having problems upgrading my two Ubuntu virtual proxies for vmware.

I deleted one of the proxies entirely from veeam and tried to re-add. For both I get errors during installing Data Mover Service / Setting Server Certificate

3/16/2022 4:51:21 PM Error Installing Veeam Data Mover service Error: Operation has timed out.
Operation has timed out.

I've pulled logs for support, and select logs specifically for the 2 proxy infrastructure components and also get this error:Logs export completed with some warnings: 'No matching file has been found for the export condition.'

hoping support can help. Perhaps there is some commands I can run in Ubuntu to completely clear out any Veeam settings, and try to re-add "fresh".

VBR can fully resolve the proxies, and no firewalls are running on the linux servers. Was working fine prior to the upgrade
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: 11A + KB4288 Upgrade failed to update proxies

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I can say that it worked fine for my Ubuntu proxies.

For proxies, I would just go through the managed server wizard again. Or if that does not help, remove the server from managed server, add it again and add the proxy role again. Or deploy a new proxy from a template. That is probably faster than troubleshooting. Proxies don't store any data, have no dependencies (except explicit selection in backup jobs), so it's usually easier to dump them than fixing them :-)

Best regards,
Hannes

PS: I never had any proxy issues. I'm just suggesting it as it seems you don't like to wait for support to fix it.
APerkins182
Novice

Post by APerkins182 »

I don't mind waiting for support, frankly that's all I've been doing as the first response from them was to "check on why I wasn't able to resolve the hostname" even though I've stated that I could in the notes in the case.

Dumping the proxies I assume you mean building new linux VMs is not ideal in this environment. Do you know of a way to manually remove all veeam components from within the proxy so I might try re-adding that way?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
support probably asks, because the logs say that there are resolve issues.
Dumping the proxies I assume you mean building new linux VMs
just creating new ones from VMware templates. Manual "building" is too much work for sure :-)

You could remove everything in /opt/veeam and /etc/systemd/system/veeamtransport.service - but I doubt that it solves the issue.

Best regards,
Hannes
APerkins182
Novice

Post by APerkins182 »

Well, the logs and the VBR said resolve issues... we reported to support that there IS no resolve issues when we initially opened the case. Feels like the information I relayed back to support was ignored, and I was told to try something I had already done before opening a support ticket to get first response time.

You assume re-creating a VM is somehow too much work for us, you might consider many organizations have change control processes which requires going through a decomission process and new server "build" processes which would have taken much more time, so I wouldn't always assume the Veeam guy has the ability to make changes to the VMware environment. Re deploying the VM would have been fine if support had done some root cause an analysis and recommended this to us.

Regardless , another user had the same problem I found on the Veeam Reddit after upgrading to 11.0.1.1261 P20220302. , he simply rebooted and it fixed. I did this and it worked for me.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

hmm, interesting... thanks for reporting back the solution with the reboot.👍