Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
sahara
Novice
Liked: never

Tape copyout

Post by sahara »

Hello,

is it possible to do a copyout once a month of the jobs, take the tapes out of the library and store them in a secure location? I think this is possible with SP DRM.
How can this be achieved?

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Tape copyout

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Just to clarify: you like to have a monthly tape backup and remove the tapes from the library? If that's the question, then it's possible, yes.

One option are GFS jobs. Or you could schedule a backup tape job once per month to a standard media pool

I don't know what "SP DRM" is (Sharepoint Digital Rights Management?), so I skip on that part.

Best regards,
Hannes
sahara
Novice

Post by sahara »

Hi Hannes,

thank I will look into the options. Yes, I want them out of the library. Then, at the end of each month back into the library and a new full backup.
SP DRM is spectrum protect disaster recovery manager.

Thanks!
TaylorB
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Taylor B.

Post by TaylorB » 1 person likes this post

Yes you can just schedule a "backups to tape" job that you schedule to run monthly. Set it to backup desired jobs or repositories. Set it to point to a media pool that has a 1 month retention. When job is complete, export the tapes and move them to your secure storage. Bring them back and load into library a month later after retention period is passed and Veeam will show the data is expired and can be overwritten. Then it will notice those tapes as available in the tape pool and write over them again next time you run your job with your new backup data. The software was designed with the expectation that tapes would be removed after backup for external storage and then return after a given period of time, so this works great.

From a data safety standpoint, I would recommend having one additional set of tapes so you do not bring back your only set from offsite storage and have a day or 2 with no offsite copy. You would want to send a new set offsite before bringing it back so you always have at least one backup copy there. So I would suggest two sets of tapes that gets rotated every other month.
sahara
Novice

Post by sahara »

Thank you! I am looking into thsi right now.