Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
isusko
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Isusko Sallen Latatu

Backup job not stopping when backup window enters "Denied"

Post by isusko »

Good morning everyone,

I have been dealing with this problem for a long time but it is caused randomly.

I have a backup server running Windows Storage Server 2016 with Veeam Backup and Replication installed on it. I have three backup jobs on it. Those jobs are:

1. Backing up a Hyper-V server
2. and 3. Backing up two different virtual machines hosted by the Hyper-V host backed up in the job numer 1.

Well these jobs never overlap each other and they are run each daily. The last job run each day it's the job number 1 (Hyper-V host) because it takes the longest to complete.

The issue here is that sometimes the last backup job gets stuck for some reason and in the next morning it's still backing up, so all the resources in the Hyper-V and its virtual machines are unavailable. If I access the Hyper-V host, I can see all the virtual machines state as "Making a backup copy". I don't really understand this message because all the virtual machines are already backed up, but the host backup job is still running.

As this is a production enviroment and I'm dealing with fire, I tried to fix this by making a denied window in order to stop the backup job of the Hyper-V host if it exceedes the expected the backup time. But this morning I observed that even this being well configured, it keeps "stopping backup" message but it never stops, so I had to manually shutdown the Hyper-V host so the resources would be available again.

The backup window configuration is as it follows:

Despite having many questions about this, the main one would be: why does it take so long to stop the backup? I have observed that at 7 a.m. the backup job was still "stopping" even though being all night "Denied" by the window that I have configured.

Statistic report:

Thank you so much,

Isusko
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup job not stopping when backup window enters "Denied"

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
just to clarify: are you backing up the whole Hyper-V host with Veeam agent for Windows? Or just the operating system and the VMs are backed up vm-based. Where is the backup server running (directly on the Hyper-V?)?
why does it take so long to stop the backup?
what did support say (case number)?

Thanks,
Hannes
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times

Post by RomanK » 1 person likes this post

Hello Isusko,
why does it take so long to stop the backup?
An "unstoppable" backup job is not a known or expected behavior, so the root cause could be different. Most likely some WMI/RPC request hung. Please open a support case and provide a case ID in this thread so we could collect all the additional details and investigate it accordingly. Thank you!
isusko
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Isusko Sallen Latatu

Post by isusko »

Hello, thanks to both of you.

I am backing up the Hyper-V host using Veeam Backup and Replication that is installed on a Windows Storage Server. The VMs shouldn't be backed up "vm-based" as you said, all the snapshots are disabled in the Hyper-V host.

The backup infrastructure looks like this:

So the Windows Storage server is running the Veeam Backup & Replication. Let's say at 15:00 I do the VM1 backup. Let's say at 16:00 I do the VM2 backup. And finally let's say I do the HV1 backup job. These backups WOULD NEVER OVERLAP each other. This backup should never be done later than 23:59 so I made a window as showed before to deny this backup after that time. But sometimes this last job gets stuck for some reason and never ends. When I check the HV1 host and open Hyper-V terminal, I can see in machine state that these virtual machines are "backing up". I am a little bit confused in all this.

Anyways I am asking these things in this forum because I am using Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition and I can't open a case with support. Thank you so much for your support, I will keep investigating myself.