Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
fslweridc
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Dorsey

Step-by-step process to convert from perpetual per-socket license to subscription per-instance?

Post by fslweridc »

Sorry if this is dumb. I can't seem to think of the terms to search for that will surface this information.

I have an existing Veeam B&R server (11.0.1.1261 P20220302) running under a perpetual Enterprise Essentials license for 4 sockets. It's protecting a handful of (much fewer than 20) VMs running on two vsphere ESXi 6.5 hosts with two sockets each. My support expires in 7 days. I have purchased a 20 instance license of B&R Essentials subscription and received my new license file today. I have searched documentation and forums for a process to migrate to the new licenses but haven't found anything. So I tried just using the License Information window in B&R admin screen to install my new license file. But that gives an error: "License sections have incompatible Package types". Searching this phrase turns up no hits on Veeam's site and only a couple random articles on the web at large.

I need a step-by-step for how to install my per-instance subscription license on my existing Veeam server.

Other searches I've tried are "migrate per-socket to per-instance license", "migrate perpetual to subscription" and "convert veeam server to subscription license". I get lots of hits of people wondering how many instance licenses to buy, and of the benefits of converting, but none on HOW to convert. Since migrating customers to subscriptions seems to be Veeam's top priority now, I would have though this information would be front-and-center. What am I missing?

I've opened a case #05346924. But thought this issue might encourage Veeam to make the conversion process more transparent.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Step-by-step process to convert from perpetual per-socket license to subscription per-instance?

Post by veremin »

If you want to replace the existing socket license, then simply remove it and install the instance license instead.

However, if you want to merge them together, you need to buy an instance license of non-essentials package, because Socket Essentials license cannot be merged with Instance Essentials license. More information on merging rules can be found here.

Thanks!
Origin 2000
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times

Re: Step-by-step process to convert from perpetual per-socket license to subscription per-instance?

Post by Origin 2000 »

Do you try to "merge" the licenses within the veeam.com user portal because thats the only way i can imagine such a error message.

Normaly,
all whats needed is to replace the license within the already installed so software. If you have installed Veeam Enterprise Manager than you need to install the license there and EM will publish them to your Veeam Server if you configured EM in this way. If you use VeeamOne also than replace the license (same file) there first.
If you only have Veeam Server than just start the console and click in the upper left menu -> license and load the new one. Veeam only can load and use one license file at a time so you old license will be automatically "overridden".

Because you upgrade from Enterprise to Enterprise Plus it cannot be a already used feature.

Regards,
Joerg
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Do you try to "merge" the licenses within the veeam.com user portal because thats the only way i can imagine such a error message.
The licenses can be merged with the backup server easily, all you need to do is to try to install additional license while already having one installed.

If the mentioned merging rules are met, the operation will be successful. Otherwise, the error will be generated - and this is exactly what happened in the OP's case.

Thanks!