Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
davidshq
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: David Mackey

Feature Request: Automatic Scheduling Recommendations.

Post by davidshq »

I'm currently backing up 28 virtual machines on four physical servers using Veeam. It would really be nice if there were some automated tools built-in to recommend optimized scheduling. Specifically:
1. Look at all the vm's that need to be backup and schedule at the same time vm's that are on separate physical hosts so that no single physical host gets overwhelmed by running multiple jobs simultaneously.
2. Look at the size and frequency of change in data of each vm and recommend which vm's to backup during low-usage windows (e.g. middle of the night/weekends) and which can be run during the day (e.g. machines with low utilization/minimal changes).
Dave.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Feature Request: Automatic Scheduling Recommendations.

Post by Gostev »

David, do you use network backup?
1. This is something I personally wanted to try to add ASAP into the product. Limitations of number of concurrent jobs per LUN/host/target storage.
2. This is great idea indeed and it makes a lot of sense (especially with some changes coming with ESX4). Thank you very much for this.
davidshq
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: David Mackey

Re: Feature Request: Automatic Scheduling Recommendations.

Post by davidshq »

Gostev - Yes, I use network backup. Glad to hear that it is something that is being considered. :)
Dave.