Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jjalbert
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jonathan Jalbert

Veeam repository server replication

Post by jjalbert »

We have successfully created a veeam repository server containing 120TB of data from about 40 clients. Everything works fine, everything is fast using refs fast clone and I have no complaints so far.

We are now thinking about replicating the data to another server, in case of raid failure or anything bad goes wrong with this 120TB of data since we dont wan to seed 40 clients in case of a failure. We would like to have the data on another server to restore the config backup and be up and running in no time.

What would be the best solution for this? My veeam repository is in a hyper-v vhd, on a dedicated machine.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam repository server replication

Post by foggy »

Hi Jonathan, please take a look at backup copy jobs, should answer your needs.
jjalbert
Novice

Post by jjalbert »

Hi foggy,

Here is why im not interested with another backup copy jobs.

Clients are already backuping to a local drive, then doing a backup copy job to our VCC server.
Having another backup copy jobs to another of our VCC server would imply that the client needs to upload the data two times.

That is the reason im trying to find out a way to copy the data from a vcc server to another for example, without the client uploading two times, because some jobs already take a while to upload.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

We are using SOBR with an onpremise object storage for this scenario.
It‘s the only way to have a second copy and it‘s immutable :)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jjalbert
Novice

Post by jjalbert »

I thought about that. The thing is that yes you would have for example a GFS on a seperate repository so the date would be safe.
But what do you do if you dont have the backup chain to go with it. You have to restart the backup chain for all clients from scratch right?
Or is there a way with SOBR to have a complete copy of the backupchain?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Or is there a way with SOBR to have a complete copy of the backupchain?
Yes, there is a migration process from your current repo (let‘s call it simple backup repo) to a sobr. You can get the script from veeam support. Customer doesn‘t have to upload a new full backup. Backup chains which are already inside the cloud connect repository can be offloaded to the capacity tier.

Then use copy Mode to have the same backup chains on the performance tier and the capacity tier.

For us, it was the easiest way to have a second independent backup copy on a different media (cloudian).
jjalbert
Novice

Post by jjalbert »

Im sorry, what I meat was:

Is there a way to have the complete backup chain on the performance tier, and a complete copy of the backup chain on the capacity tier?

I dont want to have to reconfigure all 40 clients if the performance tier fails. I just want to map them to the backup chain on the capacity tier and be good to go.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Is there a way to have the complete backup chain on the performance tier, and a complete copy of the backup chain on the capacity tier?
Yes, with the Capacity Tier - Copy policy.
I dont want to have to reconfigure all 40 clients if the performance tier fails. I just want to map them to the backup chain on the capacity tier and be good to go.
If the performance tier fails, you as a service provider have to repair it, before a customer can run the backup copy job again. Your customers needs to do an active full backup copy after your performance tier has failed.
Or you can download the active backup chain from the capacity tier to the performance tier. That should led your customer copying there backups with the old chain. I never tested this scenario. For us, the capacity tier is important to have a second copy of the backups. Not to prevent a second initial backup copy if something goes wrong. We are expecting from our customer, that they have a decent internet connection with enough bandwidth enable. In Switzerland, the upload speeds are good enough.