Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
dbaddorf
Novice
Liked: never

SOBR & Copy Job configuration with local retention longer than Archive Tier

Post by dbaddorf »

Hi!

I want to have a 30 day local retention of local backup copies but have a 7 day immutable retention in Wasabi. From my understanding, with SOBR, I can't have a longer retention in the performance tier than the archive tier.

So I suppose the solution is to create a secondary destination (backup copy job) for my backup: Keep 7 days immutable backups in SOBR and have a copy job that keeps the backups for 30 days.

But I only have one set of SAN's (with no support of hardware data-deduplication) which I want to use for local backups. If I partition this storage into two backup repositories (one part of SOBR and the other for extended storage), then I will have duplicate copies of my backup data. I don't have the capacity for this.

I tried to create a 2nd backup repository for the Backup Copy job using the same server and path as the SOBR performance tier. Upon creation the Backup Copy job appeared to be duplicating the original backup (just from the length of time that it took to run), so that seems to be duplicating my backup data locally.

Any ideas of how I can accomplish this?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: SOBR & Copy Job configuration with local retention longer than Archive Tier

Post by Gostev »

Hello!

Do you realize you're not actually saving any money by storing only last 7 days worth of backups in Wasabi? Because with its minimum retention policy of 90 days, even if you delete data after 7 days, you will still pay as if it was stored 90 days.

Now, I believe Wasabi had an offer exclusively for Veeam customers where they can reduce this from 90 days to 30 days via a support case. So if you do that, you will be paying for a minimum of 30 days, which still renders your 7 days idea unworkable.

Bottom line is, you cannot achieve what you want regardless (only pay for 7 days retention in Wasabi). So just forget this whole idea, and use a single SOBR with Copy mode maintaining 30 days retention both locally and in Wasabi.

Thanks!
dbaddorf
Novice
Liked: never

Re: SOBR & Copy Job configuration with local retention longer than Archive Tier

Post by dbaddorf »

Thanks so much Gostev!
No, I didn't realize that there was any minimum retention with Wasabi. They didn't seem to advertise that fact (at least enough for me to see).
I really appreciate your insight!
Dave