Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
smcauley
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: SIMON MCAULEY

SureBackup fails everytime

Post by smcauley »

Hi folks,

I thought I would try my luck in the forum as I'm not getting much help from support. My case ID is 5164758. Problem was first reported 06/01/12 and I was asked to provide logs. Logs were uploaded same day but I'm still waiting to hear something back. Chased it yesterday (Monday) and today and still nothing. As a first experience of using Veeam support I can only say it has been underwhelming.

Details of the case are that Surebackups are failing on Veeam B&R 5. The SureBackup up job contains our PDC, one of our Exchange Servers and our file and print server.

PDC powers on fine as does the Exchange server in vcenter albeit fairly slowly. Veeam reports an error on the Exchange application initialization: Mail Server script, pathVmConnectionTester.exe, ErrCode 10060. Tried increasing the timeouts to no avail and have checked there are no firewall issues as we are running 2008 R2.

Would appreciate some assistance which I would call and get if there was another option other than sales!

Thanks,

Simon
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2709 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: SureBackup fails everytime

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Simon,

I remember that we had a similar case reported long ago, might be worth looking at: Mail Server Script vmConnectionTest code 10060

Thanks!
smcauley
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: SIMON MCAULEY

Post by smcauley »

Hi Vitaliy,

I had already been through that post in detail and made the recommended changes to the timeout. Anyways support did finally get back in touch and helped with the troubleshooting. My issue was caused not by the application timeout but with Exchange 2010. For a successful SureBackup job Veeam requires a DC, Exchange Server and CAS server (if separate). We currently run a mostly virtualised environment with the exception of 2 CAS servers which are physical. This is so we can have load balancing on our CAS servers which is not support by Microsoft in virtual environments.

So the upshot is no brick level restores from Exchange for me as Veeam does not backup physical machines.

Simon
dsimpkins
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Daniel

Post by dsimpkins »

Hi,
So what was the actual issue? im having the same problem - two DCs startup fine, but then first of three mail servers fails (first one is a CAS, second is MB store, third is Edge) with that error code 10060. Is it simplky change the order of the machines?!
Daniel
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2709 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Daniel, could you please tell me how did you setup your SureBackup job? Have you added your DCs to the Application Group and then added Exchange servers via linked backup job?