Business categorization for your virtual environment
Mooncake
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Business View categorization model with external sources

Post by Mooncake »

Hello,

I would like to create Business View folders from VMware Tags.
I have notice tags showing in Veeam One console are the tag who are applied on VM object. The tags present on folder doesn't appear in the console.

The strange thing is the fact all the tag are presents in Veeam One SQL database, in the table reporter.TagsCache.

For exemple :
vSphere "Tag-Moon" on a VM -> Appear in Veeam One Console + SQL
vSphere "Tag-Cake" on a Folder -> Appear only in SQL.

Is there a rule that the tag are visible only if they are on a VM ?

Thanks in advance.
Mooncake
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 164 times

Re: Business View categorization model with external sources

Post by RomanK » 2 people like this post

Hello Mooncake,

Business View is designed to use object-level tags. Folders are containers, therefore, you are right and container tags are not used for Business View categorization.

Could you please clarify your use case for our better understanding? At the Grouping Criteria step it is possible to select Virtual machine folder name. Why it is inconvenient to use names instead of folder tags, for example?

Thanks.
Mooncake
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Post by Mooncake »

Hello,

I think I found my misunderstood the function of the business view group from server settings but I still will explain you my situation because you have maybe a better idea :

My full case is the next one :
Our SDM service needs to have one Veeam One report (for exemple Backup Billing) for each customers.
My actual process is to create a group (in Business View, Virtual Machines, Category then group), and in the grouping condition I set the Virtual Machine Path property.
But it's a heavy process because I have to do it manually and in the future, I will have hundred of customers.

When I met my Veeam partners in France, they talk me about that some Veeam customers creating they business view object automatically from vSphere Tags.
So I was thinking it's created from "Business View categorization model with vCenter Server" in server settings.

Today (of course, just after posting on the Veeam's forum), all the tags appeared in Veeam One Console (3 days after create it).

PS : My bad for the maybe unclear explanation, even in ma native language, french, it's hard to explain it.

Regards,
Mooncake.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Mooncake,

Certainly, vSphere Tags is the best way to automate splitting VMs into groups for reporting and alarm customization purposes. You may define a set of dedicated tags for each customer, then, based on these tags, split the VMs into groups where each group will contain a set of VMs of each customer. To do that, define the required tags, then create a category using the Multiple-condition categorization method, and then define grouping condition for each group using the Tag property. This way, in the future, you'll only be needing to keep assigning tags to the newly added VMs and adding new BV groups when it's necessary.

Normally, Veeam ONE collects vSphere tags in just a few minutes, so if you face any issues with that in the future, I would recommend opening a support case to investigate it.

Thanks