Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Killian
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Killian

Flattening a HyperV Virtual Veeam Repo

Post by Killian »

We're currently running Veeam B&R via a Virtual Server on a HyperV host with the backup respository also being a virtual machine. I'm not sure why it was ever set up that way but it was. I'd like to flatten the whole server and create a linux box of it so we can make the repository itself immutable. I have rotating disk drives for offline and airgapped backups so I'm debating just getting a latest update of data on one and flattening the lot (keeping my 4 rotating disks holding the last 4 months worth of backups) and going from there. Before I do that; does that make the most sense or is there a better way of doing this?

Because the repository is currently a virtual disk (20TB VHDX) it could easily be ransomed and I can't protect it, I'm assuming there's no way of keeping hold of that data (I don't have capacity to copy it to another location)? I have the air gap in the rotating drives (I have a fifth that hasn't been touched in around 12 months now) so I'm hoping that I'll lose maybe a month or twos data at most (we don't hold data for too long as we're a secondary school so is mostly File Shares and other misc servers).

If I do go ahead and do this am I best off installing something like Ubuntu Server and using itself as the repository using the entire disk?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Flattening a HyperV Virtual Veeam Repo

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, Ubuntu is one of the most popular choices as hardened repository. Having a hardened repository inside a virtual machine always has the risk that someone who can access the hypervisor can simply delete the VM. From a security perspective, a standalone physical server makes more sense.
I'm hoping that I'll lose maybe a month or twos
that sounds much to me. But if it's okay for you... otherwise I would try to get a protected copy in place. For example keep the Windows repo and have a daily copy (for a few weeks) on a physical Hardened Repository.

Best regards,
Hannes
Killian
Influencer

Post by Killian »

Thanks Hannes. I get the whole month or two backup loss being an issue but unfortunately we don't have the backup capacity or monies to purchase more so will have to flatten the existing repo in order to make the new one. I have 5 10TB disks that have the last 4 months (plus a 12 month) backup on and, as a school, losing months 5 & 6 isn't going to be an issue (or atleast is HIGHLY unlikely to be). The most concerning bit will be not being able to back things up UNTIL the new repo is set up so I could potentially be a day or two behind.

With regards to the Repo itself (in this case let's say a freshly installed Ubuntu). Would you just put the Veeam B&R software on ANY other machine and then purely use the Ubuntu box as the repo (e.g. you wouldn't install the B&R software into there too?).

I've been operating on the assumption that I'd have to install the Veeam B&R software on the Linux server too but actually I guess there's nothing to stop me installing it on any other server (or even my own workstation)?
d.artzen
Enthusiast
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Daniel Artzen

Post by d.artzen »

Hello Killian,

for the Veeam B&R Software itself Windows is mandatory, you can't install it on Linux. So you will need to install it to a separate Server. Only the other components (Proxy, Repos, etc.) can be installed on Linux. So at the end you will have one Server with Linux as your Repo and a Windows Machine for the Software.
Killian
Influencer

Post by Killian »

That's great.

I'm going to get another server ready and migrate the whole database over and run it as is for a short while before flattening the repo and rebuilding over a half term break. Then I'll take it from there. Just gives me immutable short term backups (as well as air gapped longer term) so that will take a weight off of my back.

Thanks again.