Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
archvector
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Volume level restore with Veeam agent for linux managed by VBR

Post by archvector »

Hi,

I tried to restore from my VBR server a LVM logical volume backed up throught VEEAM agent for linux however the "Volume restore" is greyed out on the VBR console.
I was not able to find documentation regarding a prerequisites stating volume level restore is not possible from Veeam agent however by reading the forums i understand this feature is not yet implemented
I tried to follow the veeam documentation that explain how to restore at volume level however this seems to concerns only the Veeam agent not in "managed mode"
When i try to list backups in command line using veeamconfig i got:

"operation is not permitted if management mode is [job]"

Is it possible to delete the job concerning this agent in VBR server and reset the mode of the veeam agent to achieve a volume level restore ?

Thanks

Note: my LVM volume is a data volume (no swap no system on it) and i have access to the repository since it's used for performing backups
Hindawi
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Moustafa Hindawi

Re: Volume level restore with Veeam agent for linux managed by VBR

Post by Hindawi »

Hi Archvector,

Try to leverage Recovery From Veeam Recovery Media:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50
archvector
Enthusiast

Post by archvector »

Hi Hindawi

We saw this solution in docs, however it's not suitable for us in our (prod) environment
We've finally find another way

Here is the shared procedure because i guess it can be useful for any admin that need to perform a volume level restore in managed mode without rebooting

1°) reset the mode of the veeam agent
root> veeamconfig mode reset
Operation mode has been set to Standalone.

2°) Confirmed the EULA
root> veeamconfig backup list --all
I accept Veeam Software End User License Agreement:
/usr/share/doc/veeam/EULA
(yes/no): yes
I accept the terms of the following 3rd party software components license agreements:
/usr/share/doc/veeam/3rdPartyNotices.txt
Please type 'yes' or 'no': yes
Job name Backup ID Repository Created at

3°) Launched veeam binary under linux + r (recovery) and i (import file)
4°) Chosen "add vbr server"
5°) Test to mount a backup restore point as we do in "file level restore" (not sure this step is required) then unmounted it directly using "u"
6°) Used that procedure as for a veeam agent standalone to perform our volume level restore : https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50
7°) once the data was restored, relaunch a backup job from the VBR console in order the agent switch to managed mode

root> veeamconfig mode info
Owner: Backup server (veeam2019.archvector.test)
Mode: Job

Note that in that procedure thers is no need to remove any job in VBR console, we've just disabled the job schedule during the procedure execution
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Right, the feature is not implemented in UI, it's only for CLI.

In fact, resetting the mode erases all job settings, and therefore you have to map (see that blue link under the textbox?) your job to your previous backups on VBR side when you make the agent managed again. Otherwise, you'll get a full backup after it starts running again.

One more question - why did you decide to go with a volume restore if your machine was up and running? You could just erase the existing volume and perform a file-restore onto it.

Thanks!
archvector
Enthusiast

Post by archvector » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

When i've restarted my job from the VBR console, the agent have switched to managed mode and i was able to run a full backup as usual.
I didn't noticed any change on settings of my job in VBR console (including the backup repo). If i click on the blue link "map backup" it just ask me which repo i want to choose

I've chosen volume restore because of performance.
Source volume was a filesystem presented by LVM. I firstly try with a file level restore + rsync but the performance was slow, around 20MB/sec. Backup repository is made of RAID6 of NL-SAS 7.2 K and there were million of files to restore in my restore point.
With volume level restore i was able to reach the bottlneck of my 1GB network bandwith (backup repository is located remotely) because those disks performance are fine with large sequential reads.
Even if i've restored all blocks of my LV (including the empty space) it was 3 times faster
When doing volume backup, I guess it's normal to expect from veeam agent to be able to perform volume restore. It's implemented in CLI but only in standalone mode. Anyway the workaround above is suitable for us.

Thanks,