Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mallikarjunac
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mallikarjuna Chennareddy

Is it possible to change encrypt password in Encrypted Backups.

Post by mallikarjunac »

Is it possible to change encrypt password on existing Encrypted Backups, if so could you please provide me the solution.
As per https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... sting-jobs, Encryption is not retroactive. But I have a requirement to change the encrypt password on encrypted Backups. Could you please help me.

Thanks in Advance.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Is it possible to change encrypt password in Encrypted Backups.

Post by Dima P. »

Hello mallikarjunac,

The help center information is correct: it's not possible to change the encryption password for backup files without backup jobs. You must have a job to change the encryption password and new password will be applied during next backup job run. Thank you!
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Is it possible to change encrypt password in Encrypted Backups.

Post by soncscy »

Can I ask, where is such a requirement coming from? Surely any regulator would understand what an absolute disaster this would unleash if it was possible to retroactively change encryption passwords :D Or maybe not D:

If you really need this, I guess you can restore old points and back them up again with a new encryption password, but I think this is a "requirement" that needs to be challenged by wherever you're getting it from; it defies the very concept of encryption in my opinion.