Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
cpfleger
Certified Trainer
Liked: 44 times
Full Name: Claus Pfleger

Feature Request reg Backup/File to Tape jobs more data in statistic window

Post by cpfleger »

Hello Veeamers,

it would be great if the statistic window of tape jobs do not only show when a tape is full
- but also how many data were written to that tape and up to that point in total of the running tape job.

Ideally plus an estimation jow much data is left and what time is estimated to finish the job.

Thx & regards!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Feature Request reg Backup/File to Tape jobs more data in statistic window

Post by HannesK »

Hello Claus,
sounds like a lot of requests :-)

On the one hand, it sounds like nice additions, on the other hand I ask myself who is looking at these statistics. If I have a few dozen tapes, it might be somehow doable, but if it gets larger, it would be much work to read all of that.

What can be done with the information that let's say 11.8 TB were written to a 12TB tape? Or let's say 45.7TB were written during the job? In the end, the job must be "green" and if that's the case, then it must be fine - or not?

Best regards,
Hannes
cpfleger
Certified Trainer
Liked: 44 times
Full Name: Claus Pfleger

Post by cpfleger »

Hello Hannes,

I did not expect two tiny requests would be such a big thing - like a lot of requests?

While one can always question in general some information provided by the statistic window (eg. time stamp: relevant as long as the job is "green"? And if "red" what's the relevance then?) telling the amount of already written data on the cartridge, which is reported to be full and needs to be exchanged (manually or by library) definitely makes sense.

Worst - true - case scenario:
I once had a problem with a LTO drive that did not use all the space the tape provided.
After a long hassle between HPE and Veeam support the later one came up with the solution that a few write heads were damaged thus not leveraging the whole capacity.

So having intel very early on the usage of the capacity is definitely not a luxury problem especially as that information is already available and should neither mean a high programming effort to show nor does it make statistic window overcrowded.

For the - estimated - remaining time and to be processed data amount: very helpful when using standalone/bultin single LTO drive solutions to get a better picture of the things to come (when to remove or replace and feed the next cartridge etc.)

If the argument should be "how to know" or "hmm, might be not very exact and depending" - well, there are also estimations on restoring files regarding the remaining time so this is not an exotic feature (request).

Regards!
Moopere
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Moopere

Post by Moopere » 1 person likes this post

I'd like to see the number of read/write errors being reported by the drive. Soft and hard. This is a great indicator for when tapes are reaching end of life without waiting for them to actually fail.

In some cases can also indicate drive problems (ie, if suddenly lots of tapes, new tapes in particular, are reporting soft errors ... its probably the drive).