Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
_4n6_
Lurker
Liked: never

Licensing question

Post by _4n6_ »

My scenario is an independent group within our organization has been absorbed by the overall org. The independent group had several members' m365 resources being backed up.

Now those accounts are being backed up by the larger org with m365 user credentials different from their independent time. Essentially a licensing report will show these users with an independent group account and a larger org account.

We want to retain the ability to restore their initial independent resources if necessary, but there is no longer a need to run back ups on those accounts.

Will those initial independent accounts still require an m365 license even though there is no active backing up going on, only the possibility of restoring?

My guess is yes, since they are separate and unique accounts that can potentially use Veeam resources each account will require a license, even though I'd like to hear otherwise.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Licensing question

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi _4n6_

I hope, I get your question right. This independent accounts are just normal M365 accounts from another m365 tenant. And now you have migrated this users to your organizations M365 tenant and created new M365 accounts for them?
Will those initial independent accounts still require an m365 license even though there is no active backing up going on, only the possibility of restoring?
31 days after the last backup of one of this „independent accounts“, vbo will automatically revoke the license. Then you can use the license for new objects to backup.

If you've given access to these accounts for teams or SharePoint sites that you're backing up, they still need to be licensed.

The backed up data of this accounts will remain in the repo accordingly to the configured retention period.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
_4n6_
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Licensing question

Post by _4n6_ »

Got it. Sounds like my impatience got to me again on this one.

Thanks @Mildur for the help.