Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
knowhow
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Timo Damm

Exclude mounted nas and views in "Entire machine" backup

Post by knowhow »

Hello, I am new to Veeam, but my issue is brought up from time to time. Unfortunately, I do not find an appropriate solution:

a) I have the NAS, where the backup should be written, always mounted unter /mnt/nas
b) I have several specific "views" using fuse.bindfs in place at /views/

Question: How can I exclude these two path in a "Entire machine" backup? There should be a simple environmental variable or a place in the backup job's configuraiton file, right?

Another thing: Veeam backup supposedly needs to run as "root" to access all drives. But why do I get an error, if my pre/post skripts include "umount" and "mount" as a real first-order solution?

Thank you!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Exclude mounted nas and views in "Entire machine" backup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums

1) "entire machine backup" is block-based backup. That means only block devices can be backed up. That means NAS devices are out of scope in any case. So there is no need to exclude any mounted NAS paths.
2) I didn't try it out, but asking the other way around... did you see any issues with duplicated backups? What kind of file systems did you mount in /views/

I got lost in the question. Can you please post the case number with logs and details on that issue?

Best regards,
Hannes