Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gvinpin
Enthusiast
Liked: never

VBR v6 first experiences

Post by gvinpin »

Hi,
I just wanted to share my experiences, building v6, with proxy's and depositories, spread across 2 sites.
My primary backup server is a VM, actually. It does not do any hard work, just a scheduler. I have opted this time to go with local SQL server (whatever comes with product).
The reason for this is a quick recovery, I guess. It case of some problems, I do not want to wait for several hours for database server to get restored, in order to use Veeam.
This VM has 3 proxy server, all 3 are physical blades in 3 different IBM Blade Centres H.
They have a 2x10GB LAN, and 2x8GB SAN connectivity.
They suck VM's using SAN, from Clariion 4-960 and VNX-530 and deposit via LAN to 2 Data Domain DD860 units, one on each site respectively.
Then backups are getting cross-replicated, using DD replication mechanism.

Even after applying a patch, you still have to manually select datastores on proxy. Would be good if this could be fixed.
When you configure proxy, it select by default 4 maximum concurrent sessions - I had so many timed out backups, until I have figured this out !!!
Same goes to repository. Would be nice if you could not do any load control by default.

And for a GOD sake, please make it possible to export jobs!! Is it really hard?

Apart from these little annoyances, I must admit that I am impressed with the product.
Now it is doing backup of around 500 VM's with some 80-250 MB/s.
For application Backup we use EMC Networker as U-Air does not really looking good.

Improvement requests:
- Search for VM in Backup view.
- Export of a job.
- When you change a name of a job, can it change the name of the files, too?
- U-Air thingy is not an Enterprise strength product, please improve.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: VBR v6 first experiences

Post by foggy »

Thank you for the feedback.
gvinpin wrote:Even after applying a patch, you still have to manually select datastores on proxy. Would be good if this could be fixed.
What do you mean by this? Do you have some issue with automatic detection of datastores on proxies? If yes, do you have an open support case for it?
gvinpin wrote:When you configure proxy, it select by default 4 maximum concurrent sessions - I had so many timed out backups, until I have figured this out !!! Same goes to repository. Would be nice if you could not do any load control by default.
It would not be good for those who had weaker proxies running as VMs, for example, which is more than common.

Thanks.
gvinpin
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Re: VBR v6 first experiences

Post by gvinpin »

foggy wrote:Thank you for the feedback.
You are welcome.
foggy wrote:What do you mean by this? Do you have some issue with automatic detection of datastores on proxies? If yes, do you have an open support case for it?
Yes, problem with it. No big deal, manual works OK, I will log a call when finish my doco to it.
foggy wrote:It would not be good for those who had weaker proxies running as VMs, for example, which is more than common.
I see your point.