Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
DreSelen
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dre Selen

CDP only starts initial sync

Post by DreSelen »

Ive upgraded our Veeam 11 production server with a trail license in order to evaluate CDP for our environment.

After installing the CDP filter, everything looks perfect. Filter installed on all cluster member servers.
When creating a CDP policy everything works fine. Veeam starts its initial sync, but it never completes it.
There is also no error. Job (vm of 80GB) is stuck at initial sync at 99% for the last 17 hours.

Any suggestions how to solve it? Ive allready re-run the filter deployment wizzard at no avail.

Since there is no supportID when installing a trail license, ive created a community support case: # 05373970
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: CDP only starts initial sync

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

I had this once before. We implemented ESXi patches up to latest level for that ESXi version. Stopped CDP. Manually removed CDP from the ESXi host, update Veeam to latest version and used Veeam to install the CDP filters again.

Support can maybe check for a better and detailed issue analyse.
DreSelen
Novice

Post by DreSelen »

Hi Andreas,

Veeam is latest, and latest version of ESXi (6.5) HPE version is installed (6.5 due to support for our MSA204 SAN we need to use for the next few months)
Would prefer not to uninstall the CDP filter, because server needs to be in maintenance mode. If nothing helps, we could do it, but as said, not preferred ;)
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Maybe it is only one host with an issue and you can restart this host?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It seems that target host cannot reach backup server on port 33034, as the result the backup server cannot compile a restore point closer to the session end and keeps hanging. So make sure all the ports are opened according to this table, and all involved components (ESXi hosts, vCenter server, CDP proxies and backup server) are able to resolve names of each other.

Thanks!
DreSelen
Novice

Post by DreSelen »

Thanx.

Wish i was not so stubborn.
So the formentioned comment "check DNS" was ignored by me for the last day :)

This because I created a new DNS zone, were the hosts were in.
However, the vmware host started to look for the netbios name, resolving from the default DNS zone. Which was wrong.

Ended up, edditing the /etc/hosts files on all cluster servers + Vcenter , and CDP started working.

Thnx again!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Great feedback. Yes, DNS is needed based on VMwares design and therefore we depend on this. I would say the majority of the cases where CDP does not work correctly are related to DNS.
Thanks for the follow up and sharing how you fixed it.