Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
HBSR
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Herman

Unable to exclude directories with Linux Backup

Post by HBSR »

Hello,

We're trying to exclude directory's from an FLR Linux Backup.
Also trying to filter a folders that are too big to backup and contains data-from-logging on our server but I can't exclude it from the process.
These folders are sometimes 1-deep, 2-deep, or 5-deep from root (/).
We have already tried all possible variations and includes an exclude for this folder and it is always backed up.

I run VEEAM Backup on Windows but the backup servers are all Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.4.0-104-generic x86_64)

Support Case #05337435 — Unable to exclude directories with Linux Backup

Greet, HBSR
Greetings, HBSR
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Unable to exclude directories with Linux Backup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

If I understood the case correctly, then you try to back up "/" with file level backup and you try to exclude some folders on NFS. But the NFS shares are not even backed up because backup of "/" does not back up mounted devices.

So the way would be to include /mnt/nfs... first and then exclude /mnt/nfs/folder1 and so on.

Best regards,
Hannes
HBSR
Novice
Full Name: Herman

Post by HBSR »

Hello Hannes,
To make the case even simpler and clearer, we tried (and we want to) backup an Linux server (specs: Ubuntu 20.04.4) with either;
Entire Computer/ Volume Level / File Level Backup and tried to exclude one specified directory or file (it is not an NFS share, which specs are known).
None of them doesn't seem to work correctly. Or there are files missing, directory's are missing.
So just how to backup and it doesn't matter which mode, but we want the exclude (directory or File) which is necessary.

Please suggest the best way to do this.

Best regards, Herman
Greetings, HBSR
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
with block-level backup (volume level / entire computer), there is no way to exclude directories. It backs up everything on supported file systems (block devices only).

For file-based backup: I'm not sure how I can help, as it looks like you stopped answering support. Support is available to help fix things. On the forums, we don't do log analysis.
Or there are files missing, directory's are missing.
With the information given, I can only guess the thing I did already before... "/" only backs up the root file system. Anything that is mounted (for example /boot or maybe /home) needs to be included explicitly.

Best regards,
Hannes
N.Bekke
Lurker
Full Name: Bekke

Post by N.Bekke »

Hi Hannes,

I'm a colleague of Herman's. What Herman means is that we don't want to be using includes... Since that's a very tricky way of creating a backup of a system. if during some period of time a new folder is being created on the filesystem and it's not included in the backup automatically, we may go out of sync.

We want to use file level backup and exclude directories. Not include, but only exclude. From the support cases we logged at Veeam i understood that we can include a directory and then exclude a subdirectory of that directory. But that's not what we want.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
just to clarify: are the directories mountpoints or normal directories?

Because excluding directories works fine for me. Backup job configuration:

excluded directories are not in the backups

Best regards,
Hannes