Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
sysBrownie
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Brown

Tape server setup question

Post by sysBrownie »

I'm sure my query is addressed somewhere, but my google-fu has so far failed me.
I am planning for a new deployment, so still very much in design phase. I will have a Veeam B&R server running as a VM, writing backups to a NAS connected via iSCSI. The NAS will be on the same iSCSI network as the SAN. This I've done before and have covered off. My aim is to keep the backup data away from the production network.

I will be adding a physical tape server to the mix which will have a tape drive (maybe library) connected via SAS (most likely). This physical server will obviously have a network interface in the production network. If I also have a network interface in the iSCSI network will I be able to contain the backup traffic to this network segment?

Thanks in advance
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Tape server setup question

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Daniel

The iSCSI LUN can only be connect to one windows server. So data traffic will always flow like this:
NAS --> Backup Server (VM) --> Physical Tape Server --> Tape
Most likely the data then will be send over the production network between the backup server and the physical tape server.
It should be manageable with name resolution, which IP the backup server gets to send the data to the physical server.

But it's easier to directly reconnect the iscsi LUN to the new physical server, you have planned to buy.
Data flow will then be like this: NAS --> Physical Tape Server --> Tape

And you could even consider to migrate the backup server itself to the new physical server.
Depending on the size of your production VMs, it would be a good idea to add some disks to the physical server and use it as a backup repository for faster backups and restores. And use the NAS only for Backup Copy Jobs.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software