Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
pj1220
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

VAW 5.0.2.4680 Free - CBT on all disks but one

Post by pj1220 »

Hello everyone,
I do backups of my win 10 laptop that has 3 HD and one SSD. These contain 8 Volumes in total. 7 out of 8 Volumes back up perfectly with CBT whe doing an incremental. The disk in question is a HD and houses two volumes, namely D: and E: CBT stopped working properly on D: some time ago. As D: being a rather big data volume the lack of CBT results in rather long (up to 6 hrs) incremental sessions - which was to be expected.
So I started a fresh full backup on a different backup media. Again the next incremental would do CBT on all volumes but the one in question. I tried to reset CBT as per instruction but I was not sure whether this instruction applies in my setup. I got this error-message:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup>veeam.endpoint.manager.exe RESETCBT D:
The system cannot find the file specified.
Error: in [VctInit] at step [1]
Agent failed to process method {VeeamVolumeCt.IsTrackingEnabled}.
Now where should I go from here?
Thanks
Peter
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: VAW 5.0.2.4680 Free - CBT on all disks but one

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
normally that should be investigated by support, but I also see that on my laptop... I will open a ticket and come back once I have an answer

Best regards,
Hannes
pj1220
Influencer

Post by pj1220 »

Thanks Hannes,
Will look forward to your reply. Actually, I did open a ticket regarding this issue but it was autoclosed due to high demand and as I am on the free side... no luck so far. Anyway, what did you observe on your laptop - the CBT thing or the error with the endpointmanager RESETCBT? For what it's worth: I removed partition D with diskpart and did a write-back from the backup; still no success. Maybe a filewise restore could do the trick?
Greetings
Peter
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

pj1220,

Please share the case ID you currently have, I'll ask support team to re-open it. Thank you!
pj1220
Influencer

Post by pj1220 »

Dima P.,

To the best of my knowledge this was the case ID: 05208470 from January, 2nd 2022

Thank you for your help, it is highly appreciated.
Regards
Peter
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
looks like I did not read the text from helpcenter properly :-)

The resetting CBT article is for the Veeam CBT driver. With the free edition, there is no CBT driver. It's the "VSS magic" we use for CBT. So the article is irrelevant and the error message is correct.

Best regards,
Hannes
pj1220
Influencer

Case ID 05208470 Re: VAW 5.0.2.4680 Free - CBT on all disks but one

Post by pj1220 »

Dima P.,
sorry for coming back again. I absolutely understand that being an non paying costumer I can not expect full support. But as @HannesK reported the same issue one can assume that the issue of my case is not the only one. So please give further directions where I should go from here.
Kindest Regards
Peter
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
my CBT is working fine. I only confirmed that the command is not working. It's correct that the command is not working, because that command is only for the CBT driver (not for the CBT via VSS).

Without support, uninstall / reinstall would be my first step (like with any other software).

Best regards,
Hannes
pj1220
Influencer

Post by pj1220 »

Thanks Hannes,
I see your point. Uninstall/reinstall was done to no avail. Maybe plain uninstall with windows let some residues untouched. Is there a best practice to remove / uninstall *all* of VeamAgent?

Dima P. asked me to post the formerly closed caseID which I did on March, 13th. So I got the impression the case would be reopened.
Thanks and greetings
Peter