Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
pronto
Expert
Liked: 4 times

New Fileserver, existing Backup Repository

Post by pronto »

Servus Community,

we now put a new file server into service, which is configured in exactly the same dataset and partition layout as the old server. The name and IP address will also be the same as before. But the partition size is still different. Is it possible to configure this new server into the series of incremental backups, so that no full backup is required? For twice the dataset of the file server, I also temporarily have not enough storage space on the backup server.

Thx in advance & bye Tom
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: New Fileserver, existing Backup Repository

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
nope, a new full backup is required.

Best regards,
Hannes
pronto
Expert

Post by pronto »

Servus Hannes,

thanks a lot. Then I backup the old server's repository to tape and delete it. No big deal but just a little more work...

Thx & Bye Tom
pronto
Expert

Post by pronto »

Servus Community,

one more question on this topic. Can I install the (physical) agent on the new server and initially make a few backups to its new repository and then change the IP address and hostname without having to do a full backup again?

Thx & Bye Tom
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

yep, that's fine
pronto
Expert

Post by pronto »

Servus Hannes,

it was not that simple after all. Everything worked fine until I gave the new file server the IP address and hostname of the old server. That was the requirement from my first post. I was surprised that Veeam denied the installation of the agent with the message that the same IP address with a different BIOS UUID already exists. I could only solve the problem by deleting the old server completely from the configuration, but this meant that I had to delete all backup jobs that were associated with this agent.

Once this problem was solved, I could not register the new server with the new IP address, because it was already seen to another IP address (basically the same error message as above). I had to solve this with a registry hack to reduce the TTL of the DNS cache. All in all, it was a battle of nerves on Saturday evening. But in the end everything worked...

Bye Tom
Hindawi
Enthusiast
Full Name: Moustafa Hindawi

Post by Hindawi »

pronto wrote: Mar 15, 2022 9:16 am Servus Community,

we now put a new file server into service, which is configured in exactly the same dataset and partition layout as the old server. The name and IP address will also be the same as before. But the partition size is still different. Is it possible to configure this new server into the series of incremental backups, so that no full backup is required? For twice the dataset of the file server, I also temporarily have not enough storage space on the backup server.

Thx in advance & bye Tom
Hello Pronto,
If you need to use the new file server for inc. backup only, you can use SOBR and choose Performance in Backup File Placement policy, select old file server for Full backup and new file server for Inc. backup, of course the both will have different name and IP.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

If you will dismission the old file server then you will have to run Full backup first to the new File Server.