Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
SCSIraidGURU
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Michael McKenney

Veeam 11 Comm. Change backup server to Linux and XFS

Post by SCSIraidGURU »

My home backup server running Windows 7 Pro and VEEAM 11 Community. I have been thinking of changing this server to Ubuntu 22.04 when it comes out later this month. I have a Gigabyte board with my old Intel i7, 16GB of RAM, Four WD Black drives: 1TB, 2TB, 4TB. 4TB. I was thinking of replacing the 2TB drive with a 4TB. I have an LTO3 for my Windows 10 workstation backups and LTO4 for my Ubuntu servers that are on an HP server in VMWare 6 U3. Currently 1TB is OS, 2TB does Ubuntu Backups, 4TB does Ubuntu Backups, 4TB does Ubuntu Backups. I have three sets of tapes that I rotate

drive: tape
2TB : Win10_1 to Win10_3: LTO3
4TB: VMWAre_1 to VMWare_3" LTO4
4TB: Dropbox_1 to Dropbox_3 (My wife's works and family stuff. LTO4

I have two Wordpress Web Servers in the 220GB and 170GB. Dropbox is 520GB. The rest of the servers are under 50GB.

I still use my old backup method of backup folder for current backup that goes to tapes. Backup_old: I move the last backup into this folder and keep last three. I want to use VEEAM to better do backups to disk and to tape. I have been reading about Immutable backups for my data center at work. I want to redo my home server to get a better backup solution that is less manual for home. What is a better setup for VEEAM with my two tape drives?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Veeam 11 Comm. Change backup server to Linux and XFS

Post by PetrM »

Hi Michael,

Would you be so kind to clarify which problem are you trying to solve or what is the issue with the current deployment, from your point of view? You can make backups stored on disk immutable using Hardened Repository functionality, please have a look at this page.

Thanks!