Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
desmith
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Derek Smith

SOBR Archive Tier "used space"

Post by desmith »

I have case 05339067 open regarding this issue. I suspect it's cosmetic, but hard to trust data management to the app that can't count data.

Curious if anyone is seeing repository "Used Space" reported in Veeam console for SOBR archive tier significantly lower than actual used space on the object repository?

Running B&R 11.0.1.1261, S3 Glacier for archive tier, no immutability or object versioning enabled on the buckets. Seeing the same issue on 3 SOBRs on 3 independent servers, each uses a dedicated S3 bucket.

S3 metrics vs console reported for each of the 3:
540GB v 367GB
2.5TB v 1.2TB
2.3TB v 858GB

Best estimate I'd say S3 reported used space in the repository is correct for the restore points there.

At a very rough guess based on changes observed after additional restore points have been transferred from capacity to archive tier, difference between what's reported and what's used could be "Used Space" is not counting blocks created during offload in the very first archive job.

Actual vs console reported storage for capacity tier buckets all match given allowance for rounding.
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 164 times

Re: SOBR Archive Tier "used space"

Post by RomanK »

Hello Derek,

In the support case, I can see that our engineer requested some additional diagnostic information. So far it is still unclear if this is cosmetic or something serious.
Please continue working with him directly to identify the root cause and resolve it and let us know if we could help with anything.

Thanks
desmith
Influencer

Post by desmith »

Hi Roman,

There have been many requests for information so far, but as no tangible progress has been made. I'd very much like to know if other customers are affected - if so I'd suggest the support team should be replicating the issue in a test environment instead of continuing to slowly investigate on mine.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It might happen that previously provided information has been simply not enough to catch the root cause of the issue. It's normal investigation process where support engineer is trying to limit the list of potential suspects by confirming his or her assumption with the additional details. However, if you are not satisfied with the level of support provided, you can always escalate the ticket using Talk to manager form in the support portal.

The other users' experience might not necessarily be helpful, cause most of the problems are environment or infrastructure specific and don't have universal solution.

Thanks!
desmith
Influencer

Post by desmith »

I'm not looking to the community here for any solution, I just have an expectation that when I see the same issue on 3 unrelated servers, there's a chance it happens for other users too.

To the people using S3 for archive tier, have you ever compared what's reported as used in the B&R console vs what's in S3 metrics? (difference may be more obvious if you have a small number of restore points offloaded). I have no problem with you telling me they're a perfect match :)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Your expectations might be correct, but to confirm those we still need to run the process via support ticket so that we have all required information.

Having said that, you are free to take whatever actions you feel appropriate and can ask here for other user's input.

Thanks!