Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
0c0nn0r
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ted O'Connor

Not seeing anything going to Capacity Tier in SOBR

Post by 0c0nn0r »

I'm new to SOBR so I likely have something misconfigured but for the life of me can't figure out what. I'm testing out an S3-compatible backup repository as my capacity tier. I've used the instructions from Wasabi (https://wasabi-support.zendesk.com/hc/e ... th-Wasabi-) since they were very detailed. I have both the copy and move options checked for the capacity tier. My backup job is then just backing up a folder from my local machine to the SOBR. Everything reports as successful but nothing is ever sent to the S3-compatible storage. I've even deleted all the backups to force full backups again with no luck.

Any thoughts on why no files are going there or where to look for possible errors?
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Re: Not seeing anything going to Capacity Tier in SOBR

Post by ronnmartin61 »

When you say
backing up a folder from my local machine to the SOBR
are you possibly using a file copy job? That would explain why nothing is tiering out...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If Ted's followed Wasabi configuration document, he now has a VM backup job (possibly with file exclusion configured). I'm wondering what makes you think that nothing has been copied to object storage? Are there no offload sessions in History node? Don't you see the corresponding Object Storage node in backups view? Anything else? Thanks!
0c0nn0r
Novice

Post by 0c0nn0r »

ronnmartin61 wrote: Apr 11, 2022 9:44 pm are you possibly using a file copy job? That would explain why nothing is tiering out...
I don't have VMs to backup in this environment so I was just trying to use a File Backup job. I assumed since Capacity Tier was set to both copy and move that it wouldn't matter what the files were. Does the tiering only work with VM backups?
0c0nn0r
Novice

Post by 0c0nn0r »

veremin wrote: Apr 12, 2022 10:51 am If Ted's followed Wasabi configuration document, he now has a VM backup job (possibly with file exclusion configured). I'm wondering what makes you think that nothing has been copied to object storage? Are there no offload sessions in History node? Don't you see the corresponding Object Storage node in backups view? Anything else? Thanks!
I don't have VMs to backup in this environment so was trying to just send files to object storage. In the Storage Management history I see a ton of offload jobs that were successful. However they all seem to report 0 backups will be copied or moved. e.g.

Code: Select all

4/18/2022 11:53:07 AM :: Starting performance tier offload at 4/18/2022 11:53:00 AM  
4/18/2022 11:53:10 AM :: 0 backups will be moved to the capacity tier  
4/18/2022 11:53:10 AM :: 0 backups will be copied to the capacity tier  
4/18/2022 11:53:10 AM :: Object storage repository cleanup  
4/18/2022 11:53:10 AM :: Offload finished at 4/18/2022 11:53:10 AM  
The S3 bucket is completely empty other than the Veeam folders that were created when I setup the object storage. Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2273 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

You can‘t use the capacity tier for a file backup job.
That‘s documented in our guide. You must add the object storage directly as an archive repo for the file backup job. I recommend to use a dedicated bucket on wasabi.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... repository
An object storage repository added as a capacity tier in a scale-out backup repository can not be used for storing NAS backups. To archive NAS backup files to an object storage repository, assign the object storage repository as an archive repository when you create a file share backup job.
Today, Object storage for File Backup Jobs can only store deleted or older file versions. You can’t use it as a backup copy target.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
0c0nn0r
Novice

Post by 0c0nn0r »

Thanks. I couldn't get my object storage to appear as an option under the archive repositories initially. That was why I'd switched to SOBR. After creating a new object storage repo it is now appearing.

Just for my clarification, if I'm using SOBR for VM backups then I can copy and move the backups immediately to object storage but if just using file backups then only old versions and deleted files can be sent to object storage?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2273 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Yes, for VM and Agent Backup, the capacity tier will have the entire restore point (copied or moved) stored in object storage. Only unique blocks will be offloaded, but you have the entire restore point available.

For File Backups, only deleted or older file versions can be archived on object storage. You won‘t have an entire „restore point“ on object storage.

For V12 it is planned to bring backup copy jobs to object storage for File backups. With that feature you can have a copy of all files and folders on object storage.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software