Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
JamesieA
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: james Allcock

Upgrading Azure Marketplace Image

Post by JamesieA »

Apologies if this has been asked already, I've searched for "marketplace" and found nothing.

When setting up VBO, we went with the recommendation to use an image from the Azure Marketplace. We've kept that updated and it's currently on 5.0.3.1063, so we're considering upgrading to 6.0.

Reading the release notes, 6.0 has minimum requirements of 8 CPU cores and 16GB of memory, which is quite an increase from the existing server, which is F4s_v2 size and has 4 vCPUs and 8GB of memory. Looking at the latest Marketplace image, it defaults to a D2s_v3 server with 2vCPUs and 8GB of memory. Finding a link to a web page, it says the version is 5b.

To match the 6.0 requirements we seem to need an F8s_v2, which would double our running costs. Is this right? It seems odd that it's so much higher than the current image.

Assuming it is right, are we OK to just upgrade the existing server to 6.0? As it's been built from an image, I'm not sure if there are any issues that we need to be aware of.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 710 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Upgrading Azure Marketplace Image

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

Hi James,

For v5, the minimum requirements were 4 cores and 8GB RAM, and the recommended sizing was 8 CPU/32GB RAM. I'll double check on the current defaults in the Marketplace - 2vCPUs don't look right.

v6 is more resource intensive if you're using the Restore Portal and backup copy jobs, hence system requirements increased. If you're not going to use these new features, you can remain on your current configuration.

Also, I'd recommend you to wait with the upgrade until we update the Marketplace image to v6 with cumulative patch 1. The new image will include some important fixes, so you'll get all in one upgrade.

Thanks!
JamesieA
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: james Allcock

Re: Upgrading Azure Marketplace Image

Post by JamesieA »

That's great, thanks. I'll hold off for now and keep an eye on things for the new image as well as looking into the Restore Portal.