Disaster recovery orchestration for the Enterprise (formerly Veeam Availability Orchestrator)
micoolpaul
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Michael Paul

VDRO Database(s) Sizing Query

Post by micoolpaul »

Morning,

I'm using VDRO more & more, and I wanted to check something with regards to sizing please.

In the helpcenter documentation, it appears to allude to only a single SQL Server instance for VDRO.(https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vdro/ ... tml?ver=50).
I'm just checking this is sized appropriately to have all components (VDRO, VBR Embedded, VONE Embedded) in the same SQL instance, or if we need to separately size databases for those embedded components.

I just want to be sure I don't undersize my environments.

Thanks!
-------------
Michael Paul
Veeam Legend | Veeam Certified Architect | Veeam Vanguard
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 613 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Re: VDRO Database(s) Sizing Query

Post by jorgedlcruz » 1 person likes this post

Hello Michael,
At the time of installation, it does ask for a Microsoft SQL Server or uses SQL Express by default. All three components are going to use that SQL Server, using different Databases, but the same Instance.

The recommendation in terms of sizing is more or less what you will expect for normal VBR, VONE.

On the same page you linked, right at the end: You can see a normal deployment:
vCPU
  • 6 vCPUs (minimum) – 8 vCPUs (recommended) for the Orchestrator server
  • 4 vCPUs (minimum) – 8 vCPUs (recommended) for the Microsoft SQL Server and Veeam ONE database
vRAM
  • 6 GB (minimum) – 8 GB (recommended) for the Orchestrator server
  • 4 GB (minimum) – 8 GB (recommended) for the Microsoft SQL Server and Veeam ONE database
So as you can see, even there it is recommending you to have an Orchestrator Server, and a Database Server, as per normal Veeam ONE recommendation really.

If in doubt, please reach out to your local System Engineer. There is no official resources calculator (there is one for DB Size, but not CPU, RAM) I am aware of Veeam ONE, which will be the heaviest component.

Use that table at the very end and keep us up to date.

EDIT: As VDRO utilizes Veeam ONE logic for Business View, and others, here is the link, with all great details, for large deployments, that might be relevant.

PS: Looking forward to seeing more blogs, or Community posts about VDRO coming from you soon.
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
micoolpaul
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Michael Paul

Re: VDRO Database(s) Sizing Query

Post by micoolpaul »

Thanks Jorge! Appreciate the response ( & the PS 😉 )
-------------
Michael Paul
Veeam Legend | Veeam Certified Architect | Veeam Vanguard