Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
plop28
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Per VM files question

Post by plop28 »

Hello,

I can't find topic related to my question, so i put it here.

I do backup some vsphere virtual machines with Veeam Backup and Replication (9.5.0.1922) and I have two copy jobs. One is used to have backups on another physical machine, and the second is offsite (SMB over WAN)

I'm using Per VM files backup on this SMB repo.
When this copy job starts, there are 5 copy threads which is fine, it creates 5 vmdk files and upload is pretty quick. But when a VM is successfuly copied, status success, it doesn't starts a new VM copy in the job. All other VM status are pending.

exemple:
If i have 6 vm : 5 vm with 20GB, and one with 1TB.
the job starts with 4VM 20GB and the one with 1TB
when the 4 vm are sucessfuly copied, it doesn't start the last 20GB vm and I have to wait for the big 1TB vm to be copied.

Is this behavior normal ?

Thanks for your help !
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 531 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Per VM files question

Post by PetrM »

Hello and Welcome to Veeam R&D Forums!

Do you have the same schedule for all primary backups? The only idea which comes to me is that the backup copy does not see a new restore point for this 20 GB VM. Please check the restore point selection rule which is described on this page, maybe this is the case.

Thanks!
plop28
Novice

Post by plop28 »

I think you are right here..

I have configured the job to copy every 7 day. The source backup is my second backup repo which has less restore points than the first one
From the second backup repo, i have a vm which has two restore points : 11 days and 18 days ago

The VM status is pending but indeed it says : no up to date restore points available.
Is that because i set "copy every 7day" ? I think i misunderstood this setting
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 531 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Most probably this is the case, you may extend copy interval or adjust primary backup schedule to follow the restore points selection rule.

Thanks!
plop28
Novice

Post by plop28 » 1 person likes this post

Ok, as soon as the big VM will be offsite, I will change the copy interval setting. You can consider this case solved.
Thank you PetrM for you quick help, I appreciate it.