Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Warnings

Post by marius roma »

I am evaluating Veeam Backup. I apologize for posting a very basic question.
If a job terminates with a warning, how can I get details about the warning?
Up to now the only way I found is waiting for the e-mail report: is there a simpler and smarter way to get details from the console?
Once got the test of the warning, where can I locate information to troubleshoot it?
Let me provide an example: given a warning that sounds like "Hot add is not supported for this disk, failing over to network mode...", does it mean that the backup was not successfull of whatever?
Can I trust the backup or should I take an other backup as soon as possible?
Regards

marius
Roma - Italy
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Warnings

Post by foggy »

Mario, you can get some details in the Realtime Statistics window selecting the particular VM to the left. Also, you can use the Report command on the job's shortcut menu to view the information available in the e-mail notification.

Regarding the given warning example, it means that the VM was backed up successfully using the Network mode (rather than the more speedy hotadd). In all cases when the backup was not successful, the job would fail.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Post by marius roma »

Thank you, Foggy, for the quick reply.
foggy wrote:Regarding the given warning example, it means that the VM was backed up successfully using the Network mode (rather than the more speedy hotadd). In all cases when the backup was not successful, the job would fail.
Do you mean that if the backup terminates with a warning (not an error or anyway did not fail) I can consider it as reliable?

Best regards

marius
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Successfully finished (not failed) backup job means that you have your VMs backed up and can restore them later. But you always better check the reason of this or that warning as, for example, in the case of VSS warnings, you can get crash-consistent backup instead of transactionally consistent.